- Chapter 9 -

The few months following this last, and unfortunately unpleasant, encounter with Mr Routley were so diverting that Katherine, thankfully, had little time to recall it. She found it steadily easier to allay the feelings that had lingered over the past year and a half since Mrs Routley had pulled them apart. So fed up was she with heartache and longing, and so let-down and disgusted with Routley's new character, that she bid adieu to the past and settled comfortably into her new role as a personal companion. It was agreed upon not to hinder the stories that had begun to circulate. Katherine was now known widely as the relative of the Baroness of Rosforte; a relative who, after years of searching, the Baroness recently found in the very village she lived. Her story, being of a vague and mysterious nature, had Katherine become quite the thing in London once they finally arrived for the end of the season.

Nearly the moment they arrived, Baroness Compton immediately acquired a voucher to Almack's; wherein transpired Katherine's first experience of the London season. Her account of the evening was eagerly written on the first crisp new pages of a leather-bound journal, one of those so generously provided by the Baroness. She then gathered the materials to write a letter to her mother.

June 5, 1804
No.224 Grosvenor Square

Dearest Mama,

I apologize for being so negligent as not to write you the moment we arrived! Bet and Celia are well and consider London, as I do, to be all the crack! I had the pleasure of my first proper ball as Lady Compton's companion this night, and have had a most splendid time! I danced until I could hardly feel my feet, and have been introduced to such a number of people that I have no hope of remembering them all! Gracious these events are tiring! It is in the wee hours that I write to you. I had hoped give you a proper account while the memories still were fresh; but now, as I am yawning like anything and the page begins to blur, I feel I shall have to continue this missive on the morrow.

~ furtherance ~

La, I've never slept so long in my life! You would be ashamed Mama. Celia woke me at quarter past noon by jumping atop me quite solidly. I teased that I should relieve her of her service for her impertinence toward her Lady, but she didn't seem in the humor to joke. I feel a trifle cruel, Mama, that I have the privilege of wearing fine gowns and frolicking about town at operas and parties, while the girls dress me and Miss Compton, and stay at home. They assure me it does not bother them but I feel it does. I am determined I shall use some of this month's allowance to take them shopping and sightseeing this week; though the week is so frightfully full already. We are staying home for most of this afternoon to receive callers. Tomorrow we shall attend a garden party; the following day, an evening outdoor theatrical; We have been invited to dinner two separate occasions this week end, one family by the name of Westbrooke, and the other by the name of Gray. I believe I know one of the Grays a little already, I hope to see him there.

I see I strayed from my topic of last night's ball. There are but two things of any interest to report on the event. One: there were altogether too many people, for I could scarcely breathe or move. I dearly hope that will be the last such crush I will be forced to endure, although Miss Compton assures the contrary. Second: I know you shall chide me about vanity, but Eliza's observation that I am a natural dancer seems proven true. I was complimented on my grace and skill a number of times (It was also often remarked that I was exceptionally handsome despite my complexion, as I've had too much sun; but that is of no consequence as it was wizened old gossips saying so). I must thank dear Eliza for teaching me.

I miss you terribly Mama! Much love to Papa, John, and Simon. Much love to the new foal. Celia suggests the name 'Tardy' for her as she was so much later coming than the others.