- Chapter 5 -

Kat watched as Eliza grew as red as a beet and she stammered a shy "It's perfectly all right!" while frantically righting her bonnet and patting her skirt.

The man attended to her carefully until he was satisfied he'd caused no damage. Then with a quick bow to them both, apologized again "I am sorry for not being more careful, as I did hear you coming."

"It is all right, truly sir! It is we who should apologize. We ought to have been walking, on the walking path, rather than running about on it like wild chickens." Katherine grinned, putting him at ease.

He smiled back; a slight, crooked smile that brightened, a little, black eyes rimmed with lashes so thick and dark it looked as though they were lined with coal. He was dressed quite well Katherine thought, and had a pleasing manner and way of speaking that made her think he must be a gentleman. "I am glad, I bid you adieu ladies and wish you a enjoyable rest of your day." He rested a hand behind his back and saluted them with the other as he passed, continuing leisurely on his way.

The girls locked arms once more and inclined their heads in farewell. "I have not seen him in town before," Kat said for Lily's ears only "have you seen him in your circles?"

"I..I have not; but.." Eliza stuttered, but Katherine, having her answer, was already calling to the man who had not yet gone far.

"Do not make such haste, sir, when we haven't yet had the pleasure of making your acquaintance."

He paused and turned back to them with an almost hesitant smile. "I wouldn't have denied myself the pleasure, had I known the ladies desired it."

"Of course! I must first confess, I am by no means a fine lady myself, I am only Baroness Compton's Lady's maid, Katherine Wheaton. My companion, Miss Eliza Ritewood, however, is a fine lady," Eliza was speechless; her face grew to a deep shade of crimson and she fiercely pinched her friend who paid no heed but to hiss 'ow!' at her before continuing. "But you do yourself a disservice sir, why would we not desire the acquaintance of a gentleman?"

He chuckled then; in a deep and husky tone that made one imagine he didn't laugh often. "Miss Wheaton you flatter me, for I am by no means a gentleman, as your friend has no doubt already guessed if she is indeed a lady. I am Thomas Harding; the son of Mr Henry Harding, the Routley Family's Steward." He strolled back to them, hands behind his back. "If it is all right with you ladies, I would endeavor to accompany you the rest of your walk. I really shouldn't stray farther onto my neighbor's land now I've been caught in the act."

"Perfectly alright is it not Lily?"

"Too be sure." Eliza commented quietly "We welcome the added company. Do you often walk the Rosforte grounds... rather than Norcastle grounds that is?"

"I do prefer to escape here as often as I can, yes; are you really a Lady's maid Miss Wheaton? You look every bit a Lady..."

"I assure you Mr. Harding, I am! Gracious Lily you weren't exaggerating in the least, it appears Miss Compton is dressing me far above my station! I'm beginning to feel a fraud!"

"If I may shed some light on the matter, I believe your employer may be grooming you for an entirely different post Miss Wheaton. Mrs Aubrey, Norcastle's housekeeper, told me just yesterday, that she was speaking to a friend of hers - the Baroness of Rosforte's housekeeper - who told her that Lady Compton was still looking for a Lady's maid and had acquired for herself a companion who would be playing the part until a true Lady's Maid was hired. You may be due for a promotion."

"What?!" the girls exclaimed in unison. "Why Kat dear that's wonderful! Whatever did you do to secure Miss Compton's liking of you so quickly??"

"I haven't the slightest! I never would have considered myself qualified for her to choose me as her personal companion!"