- Chapter 16 -

The circle of society that Katherine now occupied, as well as the circles she was raised in, were all abuzz with gossip surrounding her and her family.

The story now stood thus: Katherine Wheaton, who was formerly known as the daughter of The Baroness's friend, was now 'confirmed' to be a distant relation of the Baroness Compton of Rosforte. The Baroness had searched for this last distant relation of hers for many years; having no other on whom to bestow her riches. The relative was miraculously found fallen on hard times, in the very village the Baroness had always resided, and had a wife and five children; one of which was Katherine Wheaton, who's new fortune allowed her and her beloved Mr Gray to marry.

All the world, it seemed, was in love with the romanticized Wheaton family and welcomed them with open arms; even if only to increase numbers at social events and consider themselves connected to the family of the Baroness.

When Mrs Bianca Routley was told of these events by way of her sister at a lunch party, she, of course, responded as one might expect; realizing finally that Katherine Wheaton was the farmer's daughter who had once loved her son, she grew sickly pale, believing without a doubt that the Wheaton's would have told their new family member every cruel detail of her dealings with them in the past.

She carried on the conversation saying she'd always loved the Wheaton's, and 'what a dear family they are.' When questioned by her sister, she admitted that 'why yes' they had once resided on her land but misfortune had sent them to cheaper lodgings on the Ritewood's land. How happy she was for Miss Wheaton, and how strange Miss Wheaton had changed so much that she hadn't recognized her when last she saw her.

Bianca Routley left her sister's house the very next day, her destination being Rosforte Castle. She swept into the grand establishment rigid and determined. The Baroness herself met her.

"Lady Routley, to what to I owe this sudden pleasure?" She greeted her visitor warmly.

"Lady Compton, I only wish to speak with Miss Katherine Wheaton if she is in, to eliminate any misunderstandings or hard feelings between us." She announced.

Lady Compton laughed in puzzlement, "What on earth do you mean? Why would there be hard feelings between you."

"You needn't trifle with me," Mrs Routley straightened and lifted her head haughtily "I know the Wheaton's wouldn't keep you uninformed of the misfortunes inflicted on them two years past, and I know the cruel light I would be cast in. I have a right to be heard in order to lighten the blame that has, no doubt, been laid upon me."

Lady Compton stared in astonishment "I do not trifle with you, and I have been informed of no such thing! The Wheatons only ever have good report to share with me. Now that you have brought it up, however, I am overwhelmed with curiosity and will have Katherine tell me the story immediately. Do return home and I beg you to come again in an hour that I may hear you with some understanding."

She ushered her bewildered and indignant guest to the door. Once in her carriage Mrs Routley began to mutter to herself fretfully, "They did not tell her, how could that be, I should not have come. I should not have come!"

Katherine was fetched and the details of her connections with Mrs Routley pried from her. "A little over two years past," she started, "I met Mr Routley in the woods surrounding his family's estate. We used to manage one of the Routley farms you know, before we were employed by the Ritewoods; but I will get to that. He had just returned home from Oxford to care for his mother who was ill. Miss Routley is often ill as you know. I would not have become acquainted with him had he not then spoken to me directly that day and I know not why he did; but as he felt the whim to do so we entered into a lengthy and increasingly profound conversation that carried on until nearly dusk. After that day he seemed to seek me out; we met each other extraordinarily often over the next many months, on wooded trails near Compton village, in Compton village itself, even in the fields near the farm. We grew very close, and I believe I considered myself very much in love with him though it may have been a girlish love. This fancy was inflamed by his claims that he may quit the navy, hinting at making a home here, with me."