- Chapter 25 -

Rain drizzled down the panes of glass separating the cozy parlor from the gloom and damp of the outdoors. Inside there was a card game between Mr and Mrs Tarrant, Mr Chandler, Miss Compton – who was helping Katherines father learn the game – and Mr Pierpont – who's boisterous laughter rang through the room often.

Near the hearth sat Mrs Chandler, Miss Grace Tarrant, Cecilia, and Mrs Wheaton in cheerful conversation.

In a corner of the room near Katherine – who lounged alone on a window seat with a book – was Betsey, Elizabeth Tarrant, and Anne Pierpont. It seemed as though the group's lively chatter was currently focused on 'poor Mr Routley' who had been watching the card game before his attention was unwillingly snared by Mrs Pierpont – who was burying the man with rapid fire questions and veritable waves of sympathy regarding the battle of Trafalgar and his scars. He looked highly irritated and uncomfortable, fidgeting and answering her questions vaguely, eyes focused intently on anything other than her in a less-than-subtle hint he was unwilling to speak on the matter. Mrs Pierpont was not picking up on this hint.

Mostly oblivious to the goings-on within the room, Katherine's mind had wandered without; her eyes had abandoned the lines of writing to watch ripples meld into each other in puddles spreading over the ground. The approach of the three chittering youths pulled her attention back to the present party.

"Katherine dear," Betsey cajoled her. "Your assistance is required. We wish to save Mr. Routley from his current fate but are unable to contrive a way of doing so. Lend us your skill and clever artifice sister that we may devise a solution!"

Katherine observed the predicament Mr Routley was in, a grin forming on her face. "Why, the solution is most plain! You must simply distract her. Miss Pierpont, would you be willing to lend your talents to the cause?"

Anne Pierpont knew exactly what was implied and was most willing.

A moment later, the three of them began walking about the room together for 'some small exercise'; Betsey taking the arm of Miss Pierpont and Miss Elizabeth taking her other side. As they closed in on Mrs Pierpont and her prey, Miss Anne Pierpont began speaking with raised voice. "Oh no, I couldn't possibly play for you Miss Wheaton! I am not at my best today, and no one wishes to hear the pianoforte today in any case."

Mrs Pierpont's head snapped around, her face a perfect picture of in indignation. "How ridiculous Anne! You are always at your best; and I'm sure anyone would love to hear you play, isn't that so Miss Wheaton?! Do not deny Miss Wheaton if she wishes for you to play Anne! Play. Play!"

The group barely suppressed their victorious grins. "Ah, but mama, I know not what to play, I am uninspired! Come show me which song to begin, you have such splendid taste in these matters!"

"Ouf! If you so insist." Her mother flushed with pleasure. "Do excuse me Mr Routley, sir, as you can see.."

"Of course! Do not hesitate for my sake! It will be a pleasure to hear your daughter play any song you so aptly choose."

Mrs Pierpont flounced off, leading the younger ones to the pianoforte like a hen with her chicks, and her husband called from the game table declaring he would find one of his own compositions for Miss Anne to play once the set was over.

A relieved Mr Routley visibly relaxed, then noticing Katherine was watching, he looked as though he was in conflict over whether to approach her. He did approach, and sat on the edge of the window seat she occupied at a polite distance, resting his elbows on his knees.

"I gather my rescue was a joint effort."

"You are truly observant sir, Betsey could be forced to watch you squirm no longer, the dear soul; and young Miss Pierpont was a saint in sacrificing herself to your cause. In contrast to her parents she is quite a charming soul. It is a refreshing thing to behold modesty in balance with recognition of one's talents."