- Chapter 6 -

"This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever had the displeasure of attending! You've invited every Miss Moneybags in the country, and no more than twenty gentlemen! Your intent to marry me off is shamelessly clear and I want none of it! 'Come home son, I'm deathly ill'. Deathly ill indeed!"

"Brandon don't you dare speak to your mother like that! How are you ever to find a wife if I don't present opportunities for you to do so! All you do in London is gamble and drink...just like your father."

"Yes I can see why he wished to escape to such places with you in residence." He ignored his mother's dismayed gasp and ranted on. "If it weren't for your incessant meddling I'd already be happily married!"

"You would not be happily married! Not to that field rat! A farmers daughter? Mistress of Norcastle? If I ever allow such a loathsome beggar to dirty my halls, it will be over my dead body!"

"would that it were." Brandon snarled, and stalked off to the study, leaving his mother behind in a fit of fury. He entered in a rush, startling someone from a chair by the fire.

"Land sakes! I thought it might be your mother and nearly had an attack of the heart." Thomas settled back down in the plush chair he'd just jumped from and reopened his book.

Brandon joined his friend by the fire, sitting in the chair opposite and raised a sardonic brow. "Yes, imagine; the audacity of her steward's son to sit in a master's chair. You have little to fear though, for she cares not for this study; it savors of my father. Is your father in?" He nodded to the door at the back of the study that led to the steward's office.

"Yes. I'm risking my hide sitting here I suppose; with the fear of your mother coming through one door and the risk of my father coming through the other."

Brandon pinched the bridge of his nose with a sigh. "Though it mustn't be a joy for you to be back in this house, I am glad you are back, my man. London bores me and home irritates me; it's a pleasure to find myself in the presence of someone who's company I enjoy for once. Tell me, how was Oxford, I recall loving it." He smiled.

"I didn't mind it; although, I focused entirely on my studies, so I had less time to entertain myself as you no doubt did." Thomas replied without glancing up from his book.

"You really should use some expression once in a while, I can't tell if you said that in judgement or jest."

The corner of Thomas Harding's mouth twitched slightly.

"A mixture of both then I presume. I say Tom, how would you like to join me when I return to London? I think I may need a steward at my townhouse there."

His page was carefully marked and book closed, and Thomas acknowledged his friend with a studied look a moment before replying. "If you're offering a position, I accept. I hope, however, you are not considering paying me expressly in friendship?"

Brandon scoffed jokingly "You are a stiff bloke aren't you. Fine, I suppose you deserve a proper wage." He laid back his head and closed his eyes "Go on back to your book, I've a headache to attend to."

Thomas gladly opened his book and resumed reading.

"Thomas!" A voice bellowed imperiously. Thomas thrust himself up from his seat in a rush, standing to attention as his father glowered in the doorway of the study; eyes nearly hidden beneath heavy brows that clearly aspired to surpass his impressive sideburns. "You are not a master in this house, you will not make yourself comfortable in a master's chair!"

"Apologies sir." Thomas replied.

Mr Harding Sr's already tall and impressive form seemed to straightened further in indignation.