- Chapter 30 -

Betsey's guest arrived at Norcastle the next day on schedule and was expected for dinner that evening. Katherine did recognize the young man who she had seen dancing with Betsey nearly a year ago at the New Year ball. He was, after all, shockingly attractive. For most of the evening he was quiet and reserved, a great contrast to Betsey who joked and chattered as cheerfully as ever; but eventually he grew more at ease with the group and when his quick wit and dry humor made the rare appearance, cracking through his generally reserved exterior, he was jolly good fun and charmed them all.

At some point unknown to Katherine (who had subtly been watching for it) he must have asked Mr Wheaton for his daughter's hand with agreeable results for a week and a half after their arrival their engagement was announced. John then stood by Betsey and, holding out a hand to Eliza who joined him, observed this was as good a time as any to announce their own engagement as well.

In the months before their spring weddings Mr Rook secured a large townhouse in London for his and his fiancé's permanent residence after they were married, and the Ritewoods collaborated with Lady Compton sectioning off a portion of land between their expansive estates as a wedding gift for John and Eliza. The two couples held a double wedding on a fresh, sunny spring day, and Simon even journeyed home to join the ceremony and following festivities, his blond hair seeming brighter against his browned skin.

He told grand stories of ancient cities, exotic dancers, and riding elephants in Jordan. Once his visit home was over he was planning to visit Africa with a friend he met in the markets of Jerash.

Cecilia was well round and her child was due any day; the joke was made more than once that what a thing it would be should she have the child the day of her siblings' wedding. She did not find it humorous. It was a particularly wonderful and happy day, Katherine's face hurt from smiling. 

Her newly-wed siblings spirited off on their honeymoons before settling down in London – John and Eliza would be staying at a temporary residence in London while a house was being built on their comfortable little estate.

Katherine was excruciatingly anxious for Cecilia for giving birth was an unpredictable and dangerous thing and there was always the possibility of fatality for both mother and child. The day Cecilia Harding went into labour Katherine Gray was frantic with nerves, pacing the parlor room at Landyn House until her mother and father sat her down and she clutched her black skirts tensely while Thomas Harding sat by with his head in his hands.

After fourteen hours of labour a healthy baby boy was presented to his new parents and he was named Benedict Thomas Harding, which brought Katherine and the Gray family tears of joy when they heard it. The child was well loved, and Katherine spent most of the spring and summer at Landyn House with Cecilia and little Benny.

Life seemed to have settle, until Katherine received a letter in mid-August from her father requesting her and her sister's presence at home as soon as possible. Alarmed by the vague and secretive nature of the letter the two girls took up young Benny and bid a brief farewell to Mr Harding who was not sorry for some peace and quiet alone.

They arrived to find John and Eliza home as well, and Betsey had come alone. They soon discovered the reason; Simon was home again and had asked they come that he may introduce them to the friend he had mentioned in the spring. No one had seen the friend as they had arrived unannounced late into the night two nights past and they were tired, staying mostly in their rooms, the friend had not come out even once; Simon claimed it was travel fatigue. When the family was all arrived and they had relaxed and chatted for some time he said his friend was finally feeling well and ready to meet them all.

Simon's manner was strange as he went to fetch the mysterious 'friend', nervous and tentative. Silence descended on the room when he returned, entering the room holding the hand of a woman. She was a stunningly beautiful, petite little thing, draped in shimmering colourful cloths and her long shiny-black hair falling loose down her back and over her shoulders.