- Chapter 11 -

Katherine had never seen an expanse of water greater than that of the small river that ran through Compton Village. Lady Compton informed her the town of Chatham was on an inlet, and not actually on the sea; but Katherine still found herself struck with awe at what was called River Medway. Water so deep and wide it easily held multiple ships! The waves on the surface were mountains compared to the ripples the wind made on the river through Compton; and yet, her current companions laughed, saying the sea was ten times greater. She could not fathom there could be such expanse and depth to the Earth.

It was the third day since their arrival that Katherine dwelt on such thoughts. She, Lady Compton, and Lady Lestrand walked along River Medway, near Upnor Castle. Across the river, they could see the Chatham dockyards, which was now the current topic of conversation. Katherine followed three steps behind the two older ladies, gazing upon the great ships and tiny people milling about on the distant docks.

She considered, absent-mindedly, that this was where Brandon Routley was continuing his apprenticeship for the navy. He had expressed, in those happy days when they were often in each other's company, that he had settled on giving up that particular pursuit; for his mother's sake. Mrs Routley wished him to remain on land, make a favorable match, and produce an heir before running off to battle 'to be killed'. He, on the other hand, now seemed to find it preferable to dodge any match, produce no heirs, and run himself deep into the nearest bottle of port or ale. All that was left in acknowledgment of Brandon Routley was pity, and perhaps regret. Pity that he was raised so coddled, spoiled, and protected, that he built no manly character; he became spiteful and petty when scolded or wronged, and gave up in immediate despair when life strayed from what he thought it ought to be. Regret that he had not acted his age of four-and-twenty and refused to oblige his mother's dictatorial spirit. But he was his mother's boy, and could not stand fast by his own decisions. He should have pursued his ambitions while he still had respect and honor to his name; instead, he was now running to the navy only later than sooner, with naught but a broken heart, and debts awaiting his return.

"Katherine?"

"I'm terribly sorry Mrs Lestrand! I'm afraid I was entirely lost in thought. Was something asked of me?"

"It is alright dear," the pudgy elderly woman assured kindly. "I was just suggesting Mariah and I take a spell on a nearby bench. My heart isn't as immune to exertion as it once was. If you like, you may walk the remainder of this loop, and we will continue back to the carriage once you return."

"I shall, Madam, thank you, it is a beautiful walk and the weather is fine! My feet long to wander further." With a smile, Katherine continued on. Just out of sight of her companions there was a convergence of paths; and as she reached it, so did another small party; two ladies and a gentleman. Pausing to let them pass, she found, with pleasant surprise, that the gentleman of the party was well known to her.

"Why, Mr Gray! What a surprise!"

Benedict Gray stopped and looked her over blankly. She noted, with added astonishment, he was wearing a naval uniform! The two voluptuous ladies on his arms looked between them expectantly as the silence drew on. Katherine observed that both the ladies seemed to have let their lace slip atrociously; though she thought it very likely (considering their manner and overabundance of rouge) that it was done intentionally.

"I did not realize you had entered into his majesty's navy." She broke the silence hesitantly. "I thought you were still at Grandhill?"

"Ay, I have." He gave her a saucy smile "It was a sudden notion, but an honorable one wouldn't you say?" The ladies grinned at him and laughed flirtatiously.

"You are all honor and bravery sir!" agreed one, clutching tightly to his arm.

"And so handsome in a uniform!" The other giggled. This lady observed Katherine from tip to toe and offered her a simpering smile. "And you are? How is it you know our Mr Gray?"