- Chapter 13 -

Brandon Routley sat on a tall stool within a dim bar in Chatham, near the Navy Barracks. His hand rose instinctively to call for a refill when he saw his tumbler was empty. A game of high stakes was being played behind him and he forced himself to ignore it, determined not to join. The bartender arrived with a jug and began to pour. With a sigh of frustration Routley checked himself, and stopped him at half full.

Taking a sip, he watched a man at the other end of the bar try his luck with a haughty French bit o'muslin who looked as though she thought she was more than she was worth. For a moment it looked as though the man would succeed, but then the woman declared him cheap and sashayed away with her nose in the air. The man turned with a grin, and just then noticed Routley watching. He sauntered over and took the seat next, waving for a port.

"Pretty, but not worth a full pound." He chuckled "When did you arrive in Chatham, I haven't seen you around the barracks until just late."

Routley smiled for the sake of politeness and answered the question. "I arrived not two or three months ago. And you? How long have you been here?"

"A year and one half."

"You have a commission?"

"I'm taking over the commission of an FIA, on the HMS Victory."

"My man! You don't say! I am resuming my commission on the very same. I'm just waiting for news of her return!"

"Deuced good that is! I hear she's blockading at Toulon, still no word on how long that may last."

"How long have you been in service?" Routley asked, the man's knowledge and manner of speaking caused him to think he may be new to the navy.

"Twelve years."

"Ay, you've been at it longer than me, I've been nine years all together. But then, I entered late, when I was sixteen. My mother couldn't spare me before then, we were hard up for many years before she married the second time. When did you sign on to the Victory?"

"Same time I arrived here; and you?"

"Nearly two years past, but I was called back home as my mother claimed she was on her deathbed. I was considering giving up the navy this year; the country was especially beautiful this time home, I didn't want to leave..." he chuckled after a moment "But the sea called me back so here I am."

The man nodded and sipped from his glass "Good time to come back I dare say. We need all the hands we can get these days. Damn French."

"Damn Bonaparte."

They raised glasses to that and drank. The high and mighty loose lady who'd turned a cold shoulder to the man entered the room once again and swayed over to them. She leaned in seductively to whisper in the man's ear. He grinned and winked at Routley.

"Looks like she's just heard of me by way of a lady friend and has offered me a discount. We'll talk again; your name, friend?"

"Brandon Routley, and you?"

"John Gray, pleasure drinking with you Routley." He grinned, nodding goodbye, and followed the woman out of the room.

Routley couldn't say he liked the fellow overmuch, but he didn't dwell on it longer. He paid for his drink and left the establishment, heading back towards the barracks.