- Chapter 17 -

Eliza Ritewood often walked on the numerous paths that snaked over the grounds of Rosforte castle. Now that her closest friend was happily married, she spent most of these walks with Betsy and Cecilia Wheaton. Katherine's younger sisters no longer needed to serve as ladies' maids, and the Baroness had taken on another from the village (whom she was currently trying to match with her Steward). On this cool and sunny spring day in early April Eliza was on one of these walks with Katherine's sisters when they met, as they often did, with Mr Harding. After the customary greeting and an invitation for him to join the small party, the ladies continued their conversation.

"We were just speaking of Katherine," Cecilia smiled "Bet has just returned from a visit and is telling us of the gardens at Landyn House. They are beginning to bloom now spring has settled in, and I am oh so glad. Winter is terribly dreary!"

"She is doing well then?" Harding asked Betsey in his usual quiet, stoic manner.

"Yes very, although she was beginning to feel a little ill just before I left, but that is to be expected." She grinned.

"Yes!" Eliza added quickly "the spring season is notorious for making people ill." Betsey frowned and looked as though she would interrupt, but Eliza hurried on giving her a sharp look "It is good you came home when you did."

"True." Mr Harding agreed "And how is Mr Gray?"

"Just as well, and in very high spirits!"

Mr Harding chuckled "In high spirits when his wife is ill? What can be the reason for it?"

"Oh, Betsey said she was only a little ill;" Eliza cried before Betsey could answer. "and the promise of warm weather and fishing would put any man in high spirits, surely! But how are things at Norcastle?"

"Nothing of interest to report, as usual. It's grown very dull since Routley left. Mrs Routley is growing ill again."

"I'm sure Mr Routley will be home again soon. It was unfair of him to return to the navy, after giving you hope of a steward's position London."

"Like mother like son." Cecilia commented quietly from the back of the group. The others turned to hear.

"Did you say something Celia?" Betsey prompted. But Mr Harding, having heard her, replied.

"In truth, I would assume he is more like his father, for he has little of his mother in him. His mother is ambitious and unaffectionate, condescending and prejudiced. Routley is neither prejudiced or unaffectionate, nor is he ambitious; though the latter may be considered a fault."

"Yet he still broke his promise to you. He and his mother are similar in that they care little for those they injure by trying to satisfy their own goals."

"He has a passionate and loyal nature, but his mother's will is stronger than his own. You cannot blame him for his mother's misdeeds."

"That is fair, but I can blame him for his own. Not only in that he gave you hopes of working for him in London, and then ran off to the navy on a notion; but also that he used Eliza, and my sister, so badly."

"I can defend against your first charge against him. He made no promise to me, he merely asked if I would join him if he did. There was no guarantee. He is also my friend Miss Wheaton, and as such I know a little of the reasons he returned to the navy. I cannot say I would not do the same, in his position."

"And as for the second charge?" Cecilia inquired. "How do you defend him in that."

"I cannot, save for an understanding of my friend. He did not do it with malicious intent. I claimed he has a passionate nature, not a wise one."