Summer Dresses and Work Stresses

"You look perky today!" Veronica announced when Eve knocked on her door. "I like the dress. Very summery and not at all work-Eve-y." She smirked before adding, "that's a good thing, by the way."

Eve glanced down at her dress. She didn't yet regret wearing it. She had gotten off the bus a stop early, enjoying the warm air as she walked the last bit to work, an iced coffee in her hand. She had forgone her usual black tights but kept her shoes simple, black ballet pumps that wouldn't give her any height but also wouldn't mean tottering loudly from room to room. She might be ok with dressing more feminine, more like herself, at work, but she wasn't going to become Polly, click clacking down the hallway, just yet.

Especially if step two of her plan went wrong, and she was forced to flee hysterically from the board room.

"Thanks, I fancied a change. It's too nice out to wear funeral suits. No offence."

Veronica laughed. She was dressed head to toe in a black pantsuit. It was fitted, and she had a silk bow around her white shirt, instead of a masculine tie, but there was no denying the lack of colour. "I don't mind the black, especially when we have a meeting with Harper Senior today. We're not all as brave as yourself."

"Yes... about that... Do you trust me?"

Her friend looked curiously at her. "Trust you? For what?"

"Nothing. Really. I just mean if I was to propose something at this meeting, an idea I have, would I have your support?" Eve was being deliberately cryptic but beseeching all the same.

Veronica cocked her head to the side, studying her. "Hmm... I suppose I would. I mean, not with my love life, obviously, but with business? Yes. You've got an odd head on your shoulders, but it's pretty sound all the same."

"All I heard was 'pretty head'," she joked, making Veronica laugh. "But in all seriousness, thanks. I won't tell you too much now, but I think I have an idea, a way to beat Johnny and keep our clients, but I'll need Harper to sign off in it."

"Well, you have my vote," Ron said as she got to her feet, "but we better get in there or we'll be late and all of this will be totally irrelevant."

Eve's heart skipped a beat, suddenly nervous. "Yes, let's go."

Why did she suddenly feel like she was marching to her own death knell.

*****

By the time Eve had collected her hastily scribbled notes from her office, the boardroom was fully occupied. It was the same room that she had rashly stood up to Johnny in, twice now. Rather than bolster her courage, she felt like she was returning to the scene of the crime, and the hair stood up on the back of her neck.

As she made her way to the only available seat she was aware of Drew staring seriously at her. Hoping for a friendly face, she gave him a small shy smile but he turned away, whispering something to his father, who sat stoically at his side.

"So good of you to join us, Miss Higgins. I trust you were not too busy powdering your nose to be on time?" He said it with a smirk, but Eve felt the judgment in his words.

It wasn't so much that he meant it cruelly, but that he felt that women were so simple in that respect, their minds always occupied with their appearance and other little fripperies.

Never mind that the meeting wasn't supposed to begin for another two minutes.

"No, sir. I don't usually powder until lunchtime," she retorted though a tight smile.

Veronica shot her a sharp look, but Johnny chuckled heartily. Eve knew she was being devious, and this was not the time for sass. She was supposed to be entreating Harper, not throwing silly jibes.

She did her best to keep her mouth shut as the meeting went on, tuning out as each stuffed shirt rambled on and on, slowly driving her up the walls. She made sure to avoid Drew's eyes also, though she did feel them rest on her periodically. She didn't want to see the stern iron in his eyes, or wonder why his mood towards her had soured so suddenly.

They had been getting along rather well, or so she had thought.

"Miss Higgins? Excuse me? Have you fallen asleep, dear?"

Eve was ripped from her distracted thoughts, startled to find the rest of the room staring at her, including Harper Senior who had addressed her.

"Oh, I do hope we haven't been too serious for you," he remarked, and she felt her cheeks flame their usual red.

"No, sir, I was just collecting my thoughts. I have been working on that assignment you gave me." She reached for her notes.

"Ah, very good. What have you decided, Mr. Burton?"

Her hands froze mid shuffle.

"Yes, sir. I was looking into the matter, but as of yet I haven't managed to pinpoint the perfect opportunity to broadcast our new elite services." He was projecting his voice, filling the room with its boom.

"Hmm, I really did expect to have some results today. I have given both of you more than enough ti - "

Unable to stop herself, Eve interrupted Richard Harper. "Actually, sir, I do have something to report."

Harper raised his brows and looked at her over clasped hands. "Do tell, Miss Higgins."

"There is a local fundraiser next weekend that I feel is the perfect opportunity to show our support to the community and to publicise that we do have interest in all clients, big and small."

Harper sighed. "I'm sorry but I don't think we have the time or the funds to get involved at such short notice."

"Oh but that's the beauty of it, sir. The fundraiser is already fully organised, I have been overseeing it myself for many weeks now. As far as budget, I am in charge of organising the Company Outing this year, and thought that this would be the perfect scene. The entertainment and food is already organised, and the money put aside for the outing can go towards sponsorship of the event, which will give us advertising amongst the many businesses that also get involved every year. It will cost us no more than it does every year, but we'll get free advertising from it."

There was silence as Harper chewed over her words. Half way through her hurried speech he had stopped looking at her altogether, and had plucked his phone up from the table. The only sign that he had paid attention at all was in the twisting of his lips, as Eve held her breath and waited.

"Hmm. I'm not sure there will be any merit in advertising to such a small selection, but as it will come at no cost to the company, I really can't deny the opportunity, can I?" He looked up from his phone, his eyes steely but his grim mouth looked a modicum less serious.

Eve could breathe again, and relief flooded through her.

"Great work, you two. Please keep me updated, Mr. Burton."

"Of course, sir. I'm happy to hear you approve of our idea."

Harper got to his feet. "For now, I do." He swept from the room, effectively dismissing them all.

******

Still going strong, at #79!!! Squeee! I'm so happy, and love you all for reading and making that possible  

Ah, sure, go on, have a double update, you deserve it.