Wrap It Up

The tour of Mount Olympus was surprisingly normal. As Cupid and Roxanne took her down through the floors, bypassing some without a word why, Eve remained stoic. She was pissed off, that much was true, but she was also very freaking curious. The questions were bubbling up her throat like violent hiccups, and it took everything to keep them down. She needed to enjoy her position of annoyance and betrayal a little longer, and perky questions like 'where do we keep the archery equipment?' didn't go with the image.

Was she enjoying the feeling because they gave her a logical reason to be sad Drew still hadn't texted? No. Probably not. Definitely maybe. She scowled and tossed her head, like a pony resisting the bit.

"No? You don't want to see the canteen?" Cupid could not have looked more disinterested but Roxanne's face was one of concern.

"Come on now, Eve. I know you're mad but it's nearly lunch time! You love a cup of coffee before lunch!"

That was true, but it was also true that she loved one after lunch. During lunch. Heck, she'd like one to be hooked up to her arm in the dead of the night, but there were laws against that.

"Another time, I think. I'm going out for lunch today. I need the air." Before Cupid or Roxanne could convince her differently, she took a step backwards, into the elevator they had all just departed, and watched the doors slide close. She was tempted to press one of the forbidden buttons, the floors that Cupid had dismissed as 'not relevant to your position', and do some exploring, but it was nearly noon and Veronica was nothing if not punctual. So she punched the button for the lobby and, moments later, marched across the marble floors and out the door.

A quick text confirmed that Veronica would meet her around the corner from Harper's, by their favourite lunch destination, and Eve tucked her phone away, taking in the sunny atmosphere. There was no denying that MatchMate's was beautiful. Marble and gold accents everywhere, and a healthy ratio of female to male staff, from what she had seen so far. She should be delighted at the stunning employment, but at the moment she mainly felt cheated. It was pretty clear that Roxanne and Cupid had plans for Eve that she was totally unaware of, and there was a good chance Eve's own plans didn't fit into the picture.

However, fact of the matter was, she needed a job and this one was it. For now, anyway. There was nothing stopping her from shopping on the side. Determined not to bump into any Harper's, Eve took a detour down Clark Street, bypassing the front of her old building in favour of a small street stuffed with boutiques and little cafes.

As she meandered down the little cobbled road she peeked in windows, admiring the shoes on display or the brightly lit interiors. She was almost at the corner when she peeked into Little Dom's Cafeteria and what she saw made her insides freeze. Dom's notorious chocolate counter was known for it's lunchtime queue as stressed businessmen and woman waited for their little bites of heaven. On any given day there was a crowd worthy of a Coldplay tickets pre-sale. But not today. Today the little cafe was almost empty except for one couple at the counter. Arms entwined, his tall frame dwarfing her little blonde one, as they picked out enough expensive chocolates to pay Eve's car loan, was Drew and Polly.

What a total bloody Adam-hole.