Blood Is Thicker Than Slaughter

She banged on the doors of the male restrooms.

"JOHNNY! Come out here you little asshole!"

She thumped on the doors again.

The one furthest from the sinks swung open and Eve pounced.

"Are you ok, Eve? This is the men's toilets." It was Dr Edwin Carroll.

"Oh, sorry, Edwin. I was just looking for my colleague." She backed away, mortified and reaching for the exit.

"Did you say Johnny? As in, Johnny Burton?" He asked as he moved towards the sinks.

"How do you know Johnny?" She was taken aback, paralysed and blocking the door. Was he a part of the conspiracy too?

"He's my nephew, did your mother not mention?" He was wiping his hands on the paper towels, chucking them in the bin and moving towards the exit.

That revelation ignited her. "Your nephew?" For a moment Edwin went down in her estimations, as if he was tainted by the blood relation.

"Shall we finish this little chat outside?" He gestured at the line of men waiting behind her. Eve had been blocking the door for longer than she realised.

Eve let him steer her from the bathroom, vaguely grateful that she had witnessed him actually wash his hands.

Once they were free from the stench of the urinals and the curious gazes, Eve found herself more curious.

"Wait, you're related to Johnny Burton? Asshole Johnny Burton?" She may still be a little Rum Punched.

"Why is he an asshole?" Eve's face obviously showed her disgust, because Edwin hastily added, "Not that I disagree. He's always been a bit of a turd."

"He's taken the money box from our booth. He thinks it's a game, but it isn't. Drew is going to confess and he really shouldn't because it's my fault but mainly that asshole's fault, and he doesn't deserve it. Drew. Drew doesn't deserve it. Asshole deserves a lot." She felt like maybe she wasn't explaining herself properly, but the heat was getting to her now.

She was hungry, as well.

Maybe another sip of Barbara's punch would help keep the hungry at bay?

"Right, well, if my nephew has taken the money box, I think I know where he's put it."

Was he a wizard?

"How?" she gasped.

"It's really not that impressive. I used to bring Johnny here all the time when he was little. Every single time we played hide and seek, he would always hide in the same place. Come with me." Edwin moved through the rec centre, weaving through the crowd and pushing through a pair of double doors with a 'No Entry' sign on them.

Eve followed, curious beyond belief. "Wait, how do you know he didn't just hide it in his car?"

"Oh, that's an easy one. His car is in the shop. I gave him a lift this morning, and he doesn't have the keys to hide it in my car." He looked over his shoulder, a sincere look on his face. "He's not really an asshole, is Johnny. He'd hide the money box but he wouldn't lose it. He's a turd but he hates confrontation."

Eve was too tipsy to make sense of this information for now, but she would analyse it heavily later.

"And you think it's hidden in here somewhere?"

They were down a creepy corridor now, and she could feel cobwebs everywhere.

"Maybe, I'm not sure. But there's no harm checking." Edwin shoved at a heavy wood door, and it creaked open, revealing a collection of assorted objects.

"What is this place?"

Edwin had switched on the flashlight on his phone, sweeping it over the items.

"Hang on, is that what I think it is?" Amongst the clutter, she spotted something shiny and metal, and oh so familiar.

"Er... I can explain about that." Edwin started, but he really didn't need to.

There, propped happily in the corner, was her mother's fire breathing equipment that had gone missing the year before.

Hold.

The.

Phone.

Edwin, you dirty double crosser.

*******

Ok, this one has been a slow burner... Did anyone else guess?

Do I have any secrets left?!?!

Thanks again for reading! I'll post the links to my facebook page and mailing list in the comments below, because I just realised you CAN'T CLICK on links in chapters... WHAT IS THAT ABOUT WATTPAD?!?!