Jungle Cats

Dick Harper had remained at his side of the booths and kept a tight hold of the sign-up sheet. Had he been less possessive, or more friendly, Eve would have perhaps seen the sheet before now.

But, alas, both options were beyond the realm of possibility.

Therefore it was a complete surprise when Johnny arrived at the end of her shift. Eve hadn't a moment to prepare for his smug face or his holier than thou demeanour.

The last group of customers were just moving off, and they had taken up all of Eve and Drew's attention. Rowdy and rambunctious children with equally energetic parents who seemed more interested in challenging each other to target practice than they were in controlling their own offspring. Eve had her arms around a stuffed animal, trying to delicately extract it from a spoiled child who had certainly not won it. Behind her, Drew was calmly explaining that the results of the gum guessing game would not be announced until after the talent show. This was not going down well with the adults, who had each decided they could hold more gumballs in their mouth. One would concentrate on distracting Drew while another was trying to pry open the jar, but it was like Drew had eyes in the back of his head.

Or, more likely, he could hear the less than subtle movements of the inebriated adults.

Dick was equally involved in his own booth and therefore was unable to help. He had somehow been coerced into face painting and had rolled his sleeves back, focused on his design.

It had taken Eve and Drew both by surprise. She had forgotten that there was even a face painting kit, to be honest. She'd tucked it under the table with some backup games in case something went wrong, but the day had been plain sailing so far, bar the affair-fiasco. However, little Julie Prince was a regular at this Fundraiser and it seemed her memory was longer than her pigtails.

While Eve was busy refilling the water guns Julie had marched up, dragging her father behind her.

"Please can I have my face painted now? I would like a tiger." She had announced it loudly to Eve, her father smiling with exasperation.

"Oh, sorry Jules, I'm not doing painting this year."

Eve may as well have cancelled Christmas, the reaction she provoked. Julie was a brave little girl, she didn't wail or stomp her feet, but her little cheeks lost their glow and her bottom lip was drooping.

"But... you always paint? I want to be a tiger this year." The little voice was so sad and confused sounding.

"I'm sorry, Julie. I haven't got time or my face paint. I thought you'd like to play with the water guns instead." Eve waggled the toy at the girl, but no joy.

"Guns are horrible and they aren't nice," she whispered, looking up at Mr. Prince who nodded solemnly back at her.

"Finally, a lady with a good head on her shoulders. You know, I think I have some paint here. I could do a pretty good jungle cat." Richard Harper was piping up, gruff and yet soft, and he was digging through the pile of excess under his booth. He unearthed a rather tatty face paint kit and smiled at the girl. "If you'd do me the honour?"

Julie released her father's hand and studied Richard for a moment before taking a small step forward. "Ok, but I don't want a jungle cat. I want a tiger."

Richard, to his credit, gave her his gravest nod. "I think I can do that, too."

The only person more astounded than Eve was Drew. At first, he seemed unable to believe his eyes, unable to look away from the sight. Then, as he grew comfortable with the scene, she noticed he would look away, and then suddenly glance back as if to check if he had imagined it all.

He hadn't.

Within moments there was a queue of little girls and boys all waiting to have their faces painted, and there was no denying that Dick Harper was a hit.

Eve wanted to ask Drew if he was ok with this, if it was as weird as it seemed, but she hadn't a moment to spare and he was wrestling two drunk men, so the opportunity never arose. As Johnny lurked just out of reach, she tried to remain calm, unwilling to let him see her lose her patience when a little boy deliberately shot the water pistol at her, soaking her dress.

It was only when the alarm beeped on her phone, and Johnny reappeared, moving closer with his hand outstretched, that she realised he was hanging around to take over the booth and not just enjoying watching her battle children.

"Do you need a towel, Evelyn?" He smirked, taking the water pistol from her.

She was tempted to squirt him herself. Dick had wandered off to wash his hands, and Sheryl from Accounts had taken over his face painting station with glee. Drew had finally chased off the hooligans and was rearranging his booth. She would have zero witnesses if she did decide to cause aqua oblivion in this moment.

But she remained trigger unhappy.

As the final member of the relief shift arrived, a boisterous Creative Department colleague named Earl, Eve made to move off but something made her stop.

Drew's replacement had arrived but instead of running away from the responsibility, he was still rooting around the booth, his back rigid. Eve couldn't see his face but she knew something was amiss.

"Everything all right?" she muttered over his shoulder, causing him to whip suddenly around.

She had never seen a face so stoic. "I've lost the money box."

****

Ruh-row!!!

Where has the box gone? Any idea who took it?

If anybody fancies following me on Facebook, here's the link!

https://www.facebook.com/EllieKeatingAuthorPage/

I'll be posting snippets, giveaways and letting people know when I'm looking for beta readers, so you can have a free copy of the book before it's released! 

If I ever manage to get this story edited, I'll also publish it and let you know when it's having sales or for free.

On the other hand, if you don't have Facebook, you can join my mailing list, and you'll get the same offers! I don't do SPAM so it'll only be relevant mail, don't you worry! Notices on releases, free books and I have a few shorts I've written, about Eve's grandparents and a few other things, so those will be emailed to you also!

Here's the link: https://goo.gl/forms/BAwJTDe5KxWp3T4z2 

Thanks,

Lots of Love,

Ellie