A Woman's Touch

Sooner than she expected, it was one o'clock and Eve's turn on the booths. Veronica had gotten lucky and somehow drawn the second last slot of the day, so she skipped off to find Luke and Carlos, while Eve prepared herself for an hour of being on edge.

She knew it wasn't Drew. Despite her constant complaints, he had genuinely done nothing to her. Yes, he had come for her job, but he'd been at Harper's one a month now and not once had there been a mention of him replacing her.

Had he even come for her job? Or did she just decide that, determined to cause trouble for her own sanity? It wouldn't be the first time. The more she got to know herself, the more she started to suspect that she was a bit mad.

In the greatest way, probably.

But mad all the same.

Though she was technically four minutes early, she was still the last one to arrive for the one o'clock shift at the booths. In one corner, Dick was looking at the sheet of sign-ups for the day. As far away from his father as he could possibly be without leaving the area of the booths, was Drew. He was organising the stuffed animals, just moving them ever so slightly from left to right, no actual purpose or intention involved.

"Having a nice day?" She announced brightly.

Dick only grunted in her direction but Drew looked up and smiled.

"It's been interesting, to say the least. You've done a great job, Eve."

She blushed, her cheeks rosy in the hot sun. She definitely needed to reapply sunscreen.

"Thanks. It really was a group effort though. Daniel and Laura have really gotten involved." She couldn't look him in the eyes, staring at anything but him. Were the banners hanging even? Should she get up there and sort that?

"Eve?" Andrew was still talking and had noticed that she was not listening.

"Do you think the banner is lopsided? I think it's lopsided." Anything to avoid looking at those eyes that were a bit too familiar and comfortingly kind.

Kind eyes? What? Get a hold of yourself, Guinevere. He's not an animal. She'd be trying to pet him soon.

"It's not. Not even a little bit." Andrew's head was tilted, observing the decoration, and she took the brief moment to check out the cheekbones Veronica had mentioned. They were admirable, she supposed. Sharp. Not at all like a certain cherub.

Where was Cupid anyway? She'd texted him earlier and gotten no reply. Granted he only seemed to show up when it suited him but she thought he might at least have a decent data plan. Could angels get Bill Pay?

"You've done a very good job at decorating, Miss Higgins. That's a women's gift, no doubt." Dick was smiling kindly at her, but she wasn't sure how to react.

She was glad she'd only had one of Roxy's drinks because she was struggling to control her mouth. Any more rum and she might be swinging.

Drew had no such qualms, it seemed. "I wouldn't say it's a gift, sir."

Wait, was that helping? Helping or hurting, Drew? What team were you on?

Her face must have shown her confusion because he reeled back from her expression.

"Of course it's a gift," Richard boomed. "That's why they call it 'the woman's touch', son." He turned conspiratorially to Eve. "His mother is the very same, an absolute wonder with a pattern."

"Mum hates decorating. She has hired help. Her decorator is a man, by the way, father." Drew's voice was as sharp as his cheekbones and Eve wanted desperately to escape.

"Hello, love!" Eve's mother had a radar for uncomfortable situations. If she wasn't making them she was finding them.

"Hiya, mum!" Barbara was smiling, looking from Harper to Harper, and Eve could see the questions bursting at her seams. Dr Edwin was by her side, and Eve smiled at him, waving. "Is everything all right? I've not forgotten anything, have I?"

"Not at all, Eve. Spectacular, as usual. Your mother just wanted to make sure you'd be free to watch her perform later." Edwin had such a sweet smile on his face that Eve felt her own grow.

"What time are you on, Mum?"

"Three, love. Who are your friends?" Only Barbara could look at two grown men, blatantly coworkers and very distinguished, and refer to them as 'friends'.

"Oh, this is Mr. Harper, my boss," she gestured at Richard, who nodded and then moved back to his station, polite but professional.

Drew, on the other hand, actually moved closer, a hand outstretched. "I'm Andrew," he announced, no mention of title or relationship to the boss.

"Oh, lovely to meet you, Andrew. Eve hasn't mentioned you at all, but she has terrible manners. Blame her grandmother for that." Barb was hitting on Drew and Eve's cheeks were flushing again.

"Love, you're all red! Here, have my drink. You need to stay cool in this heat." She handed Eve her full glass, the same red liquid Veronica had given her, swirling tantalising around.

Eve took a gulp, fanning at her cheeks. "Thanks, mum. I'll see you later, ok?" She waved off the pair, watching as they weaved through the people, the crowd keeping them close together.

"She's lovely. Was that her boyfriend?" Drew had one hand on the counter, leaning into it as he looked down at her.

Eve laughed. "Boyfriend? No, that's her boss. He's great."

"Oh, really? They seemed quite close. She's very good looking, actually."

"She's a bit old for you, mate, but I'll pass along the compliment." Woah, had Roxy's rum punch loosened her mouth that quickly?

Wait, was she jealous?

Drew laughed, dimples deeper than ever. "I was just thinking how similar you both look, actually."

Eve gaped, not knowing what to say, and then downed her mother's drink. She didn't have to reply though because Drew had moved back over to the far side, leaving Eve flustered and more than a little bit tipsy.

****

Ooooh-er!!!