Toilet Tirade

If Eve thought the hard part was getting her bosses to agree to the fundraiser, than she was in for a rude awakening.

The moment word got out that she was planning the Company Outing with such little warning, her inbox flooded with questions and panic from the rest of the company. It was pure luck that she had no more pressing assignments at this point in time, because not even Prince Harry would get a look in this week, and that was saying something.

The Spare was very easy on the eyes. It took National Disaster levels of stress to deny him.

By the end of the day, Eve was ready to collapse. She had worked straight through lunch, drafting the necessary emails and alerting all of the departments about the festival. During her one moment of peace, nipping into the loos for a quick bladder relief session, she was cornered by Sarah, a woman in the advertising department who had never spoken two words to Eve before.

"I hear there's a talent competition?" She loomed over Eve's shoulder as she was just closing the bathroom stall door.

"What?" Eve backed away in shock, nearly falling into the toilet.

Sarah either didn't notice how uncomfortable Eve was or, more likely, didn't care. She let herself into the stall with Eve, crowding her personal space and bringing a sweat to her upper lip.

"A talent show. I'd like to sign up for the talent show. There's always a competition at these things."

Eve resisted the urge to shove the woman out of her stall. If she had the courage, she would have dropped her knickers and gone to the toilet in front of the woman, but something told her that wouldn't even bother Sarah. The woman was on a mission.

"Ah, well, there is one for the villagers, but we haven't organised one for the company." Watching Sarah's face morph into something even less friendly, Eve hurriedly added. "I'll try and fit one in, but I'm not sure there is time."

Sarah rolled her eyes. "Oh, honestly, leave that to me. Watch your inbox." She shimmied out of the stall and was out of sight, the bathroom door slamming behind her.

Eve wasn't sure if she should be grateful or worried.

******

By the end of the work day Eve had only made a slight dent in the To Do list, and Daniel was trying his hardest to help but there was only so much they could manage when they were constantly being interrupted by other departments dropping in for "a quick chat". It became clear that Sarah was very talented indeed.

At spreading the word, the is.

At singing, not so much. Almost every member of the Advertising Department casually let slip that Sarah insisted on karaoke at every one of their departmental gatherings, and that it would be a cold day in hell before someone pried the microphone from her hands.

Terrific.

"Any progress on the replacement for Polly, Dan?" Eve asked, as they both began shutting down their computers, having finally called it a day.

"Er, not really? You see, its a bit awkward hiring someone who'll be my boss?" He was shifting from foot to foot and a little bit sweaty.

"What?" Eve wasn't sure she heard him correctly, her mind was so busy thinking of all of the other problems she had to solve that perhaps she hadn't listened as well as she should.

"Well, you know, I'm only an intern, aren't I? So technically whoever takes Polly's position is higher than me."

Eve felt rotten. "Ah Daniel, I'm sorry. I made a muck of that, didn't I? No, I should have thought this through better. You aren't hiring Polly's replacement. You're hiring yours."

If anything Daniel looked even more miserable. "Oh, sorry, I didn't realise. I thought my contract wasn't up until September."

"No, but needs must, and you really are very good." Eve smiled at him, reaching out to pat him on the shoulder.

"Well, thanks, I guess. Would you be able to give me a reference?"

"A reference? You don't need one, really, do you?" Eve was even more confused now.

"Well, most companies do look for one..."

It all clicked. "Hang on, do you think I'm firing you?"

Daniel had never looked more pathetic, and that was saying something. "But you said I'm being replaced?"

"Noooo, you numpty. You're being promoted! You're the new Polly. Grim, I know," she winced sympathetically, "but you'll have hired your very own intern so I suspect you'll be fine."

"Really?" He was beaming and had those big hopeful eyes that looked like Puss in Boots.

"Really. You already did most of Polly's work as well as your own. If anything, now you'll have someone to help with the load, so it'll feel like a holiday."

"Oh, Eve, thanks so much! I won't let you down! I'll get here early and I'll stay late and really, I'll do my best. I swear."

"No need for the extra hours, Daniel. Just get yourself an intern, and sooner rather than later. I'll sort out the paperwork tomorrow, but I think its home time. This week is going to be busy enough without us camping at our desks."

"Yes, sir!" Daniel threw his stuff into his bag and moved with such gusto that Eve felt a bit like a Lieutenant in the Army.

She didn't bother correcting him about calling her 'sir'. She was too tired and she knew he meant well. Plus, he'd spend the next hour apologising and she did not have the patience for that right now.

She had her own mountain of work to do when she got home.