Wing Failure

Cupid was either oblivious to the moment he was interrupting or genuinely didn't care. Without any encouragement from Eve, he slung his arm over her shoulders, pulling her away from Drew and smushing her against him. The space was rather confined, what with her gym bag stuffed in-between them, and she struggled to breathe in his awkward embrace.

"Hello, mate! Have we met?"

Eve finally got a lungful of air and elbowed out of Cupid's possession, just in time to see him shake hands with a defeated looking Drew.

"No, I don't think so. I'm Andrew, I work with Eve? Oh, actually that's past tense now, isn't it?"

Eve's chest tightened as she briefly relived the tantrum all over again.

"Des, mate. What's this about then? Have you gotten yourself fired?" He ruffled her hair like she was his kid brother and she scowled at him.

"No, actually, I quit."

Cupid's shock this time was legitimate. Eve thought she may have even detected a hint of pride in his expression. "Did you now? Well, that was unexpected. You're much further along than I thought."

That confused her. "Further along what?"

Cupid's response was almost too suave. "The road to insanity, of course. I thought you might keep up the facade a little longer, is all."

She narrowed her eyes at him, but with Drew nearby there wasn't really an option for further questioning.

"Anywhoodle, do you mind if I steal this one away, ex-boss? Seems we have some catching up to do!"

"Oh, um, sure. Listen, Eve, I'd like to take you for lunch sometime, my treat." His cheeks were a rueful shade of pink and his eye contact was almost as delicious as the offer of free food.

"Yeah, of course. That'd be nice." She smiled up at him, her cheeks just as bright.

"I guess I'll uh, text you, then?"

"Yeah. That'd be nice."

"Ok." His smile was too shy for words.

"Ok."

"Sure."

"Sure."

"Well, I'm glad that's settled. You both like lunch. Shall we, Guinevere?" Uncomfortable with not being the centre of attention for longer than a minute, Cupid inserted himself loudly back into the conversation, snatched Eve's duffel bag from her arms, saluted Drew jaunty, and steered Eve away.

For a literal wing man, he wasn't the greatest.