❛ Rushing Arrows ❜

People say a single smile can make even the darkest of days seem hopeful.

It was rare to find someone that had such a miraculous gift of defying the overall mood of a room and morphing it into something wonderful, yet none truly understood how someone could do such a beautiful thing. People wondered, they often stared, yet they always found themselves smiling. 

They had seen Annabelle Carter, the heir to the throne of the largest charitable organization, one that donated housing, education, and healthcare to those in the Glades who couldn't support themselves. Annabelle would carry on to achieve great things, they all said, she would prosper with greatness, they had announced. They wanted her to be the leader of the Carter Provision when time allotted her to. Her future was set in stone, to carry on the great Carter name and work alongside Merlyn Global Group and Queen Consolidated to eventually create something spectacular in the world.

Yes, that seems astonishing, of course. But being part of the Starling Triad, as often referred to, was as dangerous as it was beneficial. Starling was dark and twisted. People were gracious toward the Carter Provision, yet others wanted nothing more than to see the three families crash and burn with no one to help them up. 

Annabelle never knew this. Her innocence was protected by her parents as long as it could possibly be. They joined with the Queen's to make sure their children remained children, to not grow up too fast, and to become successful adults. Oliver and Annabelle had been the it couple of Starling, one that everyone envied. Life was perfect. Annabelle had a future, a wonderful family, gracious friends, and a gorgeous city. 

Until she boarded the Queen's Gambit.