13 | ❛ Solemn Mournings ❜

❛ I promise it will get better ❜ 

It was hard to believe that life for Annabelle Carter could get any worse

It was hard to believe that life for Annabelle Carter could get any worse. The girl hadn't left her bed in nearly a week since the day she went to go see her parents and finally sit down and have a conversation with them to tell them she was alive. That was the day they were taken away from her when she never even got to say how much she missed them for five whole years, how they were what kept her alive on the island. 

For the days leading up to her visit to her parents, she had been memorizing a script to say to them, and she never got the chance to use it.

People had stopped by the Queen's mansion, flowers and meals in their hands. They had come to offer their condolences but no one ever made it past the foyer. Anna hadn't come out of her room in a week, not since she went to the hospital to say her final goodbyes.

The doorbell rang in the mansion again and Oliver Queen stood up from the couch in the living room to go answer it. When he made it to the door, he noticed Laurel Lance standing in the doorway and he stilled, knowing that not long ago he had shared a kiss with the woman before him and possibly ruined his relationship with Anna for good. "Hey," she said with a small smile, her hand reaching up to tuck a strand of hair away from her face. Oliver moved out of the way to allow her in and she looked up at the stairs, expecting to see Anna. "How is she?" she wondered, eyeing the living room where Tommy sat with Thea and Moira while watching the news.

Oliver leaned against the rail on the staircase and shrugged, "She hasn't let me in her room in a couple days," he replied softly. Laurel's face fell and she closed her eyes for a brief moment, "I'm sorry, Ollie. What happened between us never should have - "

"It doesn't change anything, Laurel," he said in a dismissive manner, just wanting the subject to drop so he could focus on his girlfriend. "What are you doing here?"

Laurel pursed her lips and stared at her flats, "I came to see Anna." Oliver shook his head and looked back toward her room that was at the end of the hall upstairs, "I don't think she wants to see you, Laurel. She hasn't even been eating, nevermind taking visitors."

The woman frowned, "She hasn't seen anyone?"

Oliver sighed, "She lets Tommy and my mom in. Sometimes Thea. But other than that I haven't seen her."

"The funeral is tomorrow, isn't it?"

Oliver nodded, "She'll be there, somehow," the man stressed. No one in the family knew how to get Anna to the funeral. She knew it was tomorrow, but she hadn't left her room, they didn't suspect she would be getting up to put on a dress any time soon. 

As if she could hear through walls, soft footsteps tapped lightly on the carpeted stairs and Oliver looked up to see Anna standing at the top of the staircase with a blank expression on her face. As soon as Laurel noticed she was there she offered the girl a smile to which she refused to accept and looked down instead. "Hey," Oliver said with a gentle and caring smile upon his cheeks. He walked around the rail so he was at the bottom and looked up, "Are you alright?"