23 | ❛Progress Is Happening❜

I love you 

Time always seemed to go by the slowest when you were waiting for it to go by the fastest

Time always seemed to go by the slowest when you were waiting for it to go by the fastest. Annabelle Carter was still in recovery mode from her ordeal with the Count. It was funny how she had survived lights falling atop her, stab wounds, endless bruises, and many broken bones, but what broke her was the drugs. She had been in the hospital for a week and just began eating solid foods only days ago. She was constantly in pain but her visits from her friends and family helped her forget that pain for small amounts of time.

Today she was supposed to be making progress and was planning to walk for the first time since she was found in the warehouse. Oliver had wheeled her to the exercise room in the hospital and though she should have been relaxed and calm to take her first steps, her heart was racing and she had fear resonating in her head.

"Ready to walk again?" Oliver asked as he spun her wheelchair around and smiled wide. "When that tremor in your hand goes away and you can hop on one foot you'll be ready to rule the world."

Anna sighed and looked up at Oliver, "I'm not so sure, Oliver," she responded with a small voice. "What do you mean?" he wondered, confusion taking over his face.

"Rulers of the world do not have ulcers that inflict pain over their whole body and make a lasting impression that is unforgettable."

Oliver frowned, "You'll be okay, Bella."

Anna rolled her eyes and used her hands to push her wheelchair forwards and through the automatic doors of the room. "You do not know that, Ollie."

He hopped after her and took hold of her wheelchair again and pulling her close to him. "I'll make sure of it, Anna. I'm not going to let anyone do anything to hurt you. What happened with the Count stopped when I put him in that mental hospital."

Anna sighed again, "Let's just get this over with." 

Oliver looked down at her and was ready to open his mouth to respond when she interrupted with a small "Please."

He nodded and stepped back, watching as Anna's doctor approached her and smiled, explaining the process of what was about to happen. 

The doctor held out her hands and allowed Anna to grab onto them until she found a sturdy grip. The doctor pulled Anna to her feet and took a step back so that Anna would be forced to take a step forward. The girl yelped in sudden pain and Oliver's reflexes forced him to hop forward. The doctor signaled him that it was alright and Anna stared down at her feet and took a deep breath.

"Are you alright, Annabelle?" the doctor asked her. Anna shook her head and tried to keep her lip from quivering. Her ulcer continued to rage as she took another step and she wanted to stop moving. Her entire body screamed for mercy and her hand shook more. Her nerve system was reacting to an overload of pain.