17 | ❛Trust but Verify❜

❛ had to ❜ 

❛ I had to ❜ 

It had been nearly a week since the fire and Oliver had yet to forgive Anna. She put herself in danger when she didn't need to, and she wasn't cleared for fighting. Her foot had healed, her back was always sore, and she still could hardly lift a pencil. But that didn't mean she was giving up and letting people fight for her. She could handle her own battles, and for some reason, Oliver wouldn't let her. 

They were on a break, they had been for four months, yet neither of them acted like it and secretly they both wanted it to end, though Anna wouldn't admit that just yet. Oliver was waiting for her, he was being loyal because he needed to earn back his girlfriend's trust. But he hadn't gotten that far.

Anna sighed as she sat on her bed and she quickly shoved her journal under her special corner. She didn't want to look at it right now, she instead wanted to take a nap that was probably never going to happen in her room. So instead, she stood and exited her bedroom with her favorite blanket in hand. 

Anna walked down the grand stairs and made her way to the living room where Thea was perusing a magazine. She looked up at Anna's entrance and smiled lightly. "Hey, Bells," she beamed, scooting over to allow the girl room to lay down. "Hey, Speedy," she softly said with a yawn following. She draped her blanket over her legs and grabbed a throw pillow from beside Thea to use for her head. "Tired?" Thea wondered, glancing over at the woman who was now all snuggled up in her sweatpants, t-shirt, and fuzzy blanket. "I'm not feeling that great," she whispered, her eyes closed as her head sank into the pillow.

"What's wrong?" Oliver's voice came from the entrance of the room. Anna stayed silent but she heard his footsteps in front of her face. "Hey," he said quietly, placing a hand on her forehead to check her temperature, "Is it your ulcer?"

"I'm just not feeling well, Ollie. It will pass," Anna replied with her eyes still closed. Oliver sighed and brushed a strand of Anna's dark brown hair away from her eyes. He stood back up and wandered behind Thea to interest himself in the array of food behind the couch. "Tahitian green or midnight black, what do you think?" Thea questioned the two, her eyes invested in a car magazine. "I think that you've been dropping hints all week, Thea, and mom still isn't buying you a car for your birthday," Oliver chuckled. A smile was brought to Anna's face at Oliver's laugh and Thea's innocence. 

"I could not have said it better myself," Moira chimed in upon entering. "Oliver got a car when he turned 18," Thea complained. "Yeah," Oliver jumped in with his mouth full of food, "But I could back it out of the driveway without hitting a tree."

"Yeah," Anna yawned, "He hit a mailbox instead."

Oliver pointed his finger at the woman, "Hey, that was one time." 

"Bella's right," Tommy's voice sounded as his cologne invaded the room. "I do remember you taking the paint off the side of your dad's Maserati."

Moira smirked and Oliver shrugged, tossing a grape at Anna. She jumped up from her mini-nap and glared at him before popping the grape inside her mouth and sticking her tongue out at him. He grimaced and she giggled, standing to her feet and accepting the fact that she wouldn't be taking a nap to calm her headache. She would just take some painkillers.