25 | ❛Haunted Lies❜

Helps me forget it 

Anna had been longing to go back to the warehouse ever since she got back that evening

Anna had been longing to go back to the warehouse ever since she got back that evening. It was not that she wished to be back in a place that interrupted her positive thoughts and made her rethink all her life choices and abilities, but she was intrigued. Being back in the warehouse invoked a feeling in her that she had never felt before, not even on the island or the ferry. Just setting foot in the moldy building with cracks covering the foundation made her feel inferior. She questioned her ability to fight again, or even just be on an equal playing field with her opponent. But when the Count gave her a drug that wasn't an overdose of Vertigo, she felt better. Her pain washed away and she felt like she was on cloud nine.

Being in the warehouse made her feel real. She needed to experience everything. She needed to face her fears in order to convince herself she was real. If she continued to go back to the warehouse than she could try to get her confidence back and be herself. Because at this moment, Annabelle Carter had no idea who she was. Was she a fighter who could battle any opponent in her way? Or was she a coward who constantly made herself appear stronger than she was in order to make herself seem okay to the people around her? Until Anna figured out who she truly was, she would never be truly okay.

Anna sat currently at the dinner table with Tommy across from her and all other seats completely vacant. Tommy had a glass of wine in his hand and he was sipping it mindfully while Anna also had her own wine, something very strange since she was certainly not one to drink. But after her ordeal in the warehouse where she was on drugs each and every day, Anna had resorted to other measures to keep herself happy. And at the moment, no one noticed the change with her drinking preferences, even if she had drunk herself to sleep more than once.

"How's Laurel, Thomas?" the girl wondered while taking a large sip of her red wine. He smiled and scooped a forkful of carrot cake into his mouth. "She's great," he responded with a wide grin. "I really love her."

Anna smiled, "That's great, Tommy. I'm really happy for you," she honestly told him while downing the rest of her wine. "You deserve to be happy."

Tommy laughed and leaned over to pour the girl more wine, and then refilling his glass as well. "You do, too, Bella. More than anyone else I know."

Anna shrugged, "You don't have to say that," she said while brushing him off. "It's true," he grinned, then looking up as Oliver wandered into the room while tugging on his long sleeve shirt. "Hey! Big Man is here!" Tommy cheered while standing up and clapping Oliver on the back. Oliver smiled and then approached Anna to kiss her on the head. He glanced at the glass of wine sitting in front of her and squeezed her shoulder before taking his place at the head of the table. "What have I missed?"

"We were just talking about me, of course," Tommy answered with a smug smirk. Oliver chuckled and held out his glass for Tommy to fill, which he did right away. "And how great it is to have Annabelle back," he added in. "Gone for five years, back for a couple months, and then gone again? If I knew any better, Anna, I'd think you were an international criminal or something," he joked. Anna lightly chuckled, her laugh being nothing genuine. "If only I'd have asked to be gone. It's as if no one has regard for a businesswoman trying to live her life," she smiled.