Fourteen || Soul-Crushing

|| Soul-Crushing

"If 99.9% of our DNA sequence is the same as other humans, what could account for the missing 0.1% difference?"

The morning light poured into Mrs. Finch's AP Biology classroom, students either deeply enthralled or significantly lost.

"Theo?"

The teen looked up from his open notebook, pausing. "Um, nucleotides."

Mrs. Finch nodded. "That's right." Her eyes found Allison,  hand raised. "Yes, Allison?"

As Scott tried to figure out the enigma that was Tracy Stewart, Allison verbalized her thoughts.

"Can there be more than one species in the same DNA?"

"No," Finch simply replied, "but there can be multiple sets of DNA in the same individual. We call that a chimera. Anyone know where that term comes from?"

"Greek mythology."

Mrs. Finch agreed with the new voice. "Good Jacy, thank you. And that does get us into the next topic of mutation. As you know from the reading, DNA is a fragile molecule. Isn't it, Scott?"

Jacy's eyes flickered upward as Finch called out the true alpha, the clairvoyant still haunted by a dream she had the night before, Donovan's screams still echoing in her ears.

When Scott pulled his attention from his notes, Finch hounded him. "Or did you miss last night's assigned reading?"

"Kind of," Scott lightly replied.

"Kind of, or yes?" Finch snapped back flatly.

Scott glanced down, cheeks burning. "Mostly, yes."

"Well then, thank you for another helpful transition in topic," Mrs. Finch said as she rounded her desk. She held up a stack of papers to the class. "Drop forms. All those now accutely aware that they do not belong in this class," she slammed one on the desk of the girl behind Theo, "you should fill one out." She gave out two more before returning to the front. "The rest will be on my desk."

That, although a minute early, was their dismissal.

Jacy barely saw Scott grab a drop form on the way out of class, her thoughts so far elsewhere that she couldn't bring herself to give him a pep talk to stay in the class.

Not to mention she was out of the building before the actual bell rang.

It was happening again and she didn't even know it.

It wasn't as if she would remember it.

Jacy lingered outside of her car for only a brief moment with a thick file in hand, eyes unfocused as she waited, having dropped her backpack in Petunia.

"Ready?"

Jacy glanced over her shoulder, holding out a hand as Theo came up with his backpack halfway off his shoulder.

Theo handed over his bag with ease, looking around the parking lot as Jacy tossed his backpack into the Honda. He said very little, waiting on a version of Jacy he barely knew.

Jacy locked up Petunia before pocketing the keys in her jeans, turning around to Theo. "Okay, let's go," she said as she offered out a hand.

Theo glanced to the Honda and back, his brows drawing in slightly. "Wait, what?"

The clairvoyant only rolled her eyes, reaching out and grabbing one of his shoulders with her free hand.

"Holy-" Theo's voice cut out as his feet connected with hardwood, his surroundings barren and dark.