Seventeen || Lost Souls

|| Lost Souls

"Sorry," Theo said as he thumbed through the copy of The Dread Doctors that Scott hand delivered to him in the locker room, "but I hadn't even heard of a kanima until a few days ago."

Lie.

Theo glanced down to the copy. "You want me to read this?"

"Well not yet," said Scott, his arms absently folded. "I'm still only on chapter one."

"You guys do this a lot, huh?" asked Theo, almost grinning. Almost.

"Do what?"

"Get involved."

Scott hesitated. "Yeah, I guess."

"What about the author?" he questioned. "If he knew all about these guys, shouldn't we be talking to him?"

"We thought about that," Scott explained, "but it's pretty much a dead end."

Theo flipped to the last page, pausing before asking, "What about this guy?"

"What?"

"The acknowledgements," said Theo. "For providing scientific prospective and invaluable insight-"

Scott took the copy from Theo, eyes wide. "This book is dedicated to Dr. Gabriel Valack," he finished, his heart beginning to race.

Theo's brows furrowed. "Do you know him?"

The locker room door busted open, Jacy nearly panting after bolting out of the library during her free period.

"Eichen House," Jacy practically demanded. "Plan. Now."

Theo paused. "I can't go with, guys. I need the attendance. Tell me how it goes, though. I'm curious to know."

Scott agreed mildly, handing back the copy of the novel. "Read this when you can," he said on his way out with Jacy.

He already had, of course.

"Yeah, sure," Theo replied, nodding as the other wolves left the locker room to round up their troops to storm Eichen.

Theo counted in his head until sixty before leaving the sweat stained room, carrying his copy in hand while retrieving his car keys with the other.

The teen double checked the view of the parking lot through the doors before jogging outside. He climbed into his truck, taking it across town in a hurry.

Theo parked the car two houses down from the old Dane residence, using a key Jacy had given him to unlock the front door with ease.

Ignoring the eerie atmosphere, Theo crossed into the den and pressed in on the access panel to the tunnels. He descended the metal ladder hastily, going through the laboratory to the attached workspace, the Surgeon arriving at nearly the same time.

"The book worked," Theo announced. "And now they're headed to see Valack." His phone dinged, a message from Jacy - which one, he didn't know - waiting for him. "They're going tonight," he told them.

"To Eichen," the doctors echoed, almost happily. Almost. "To Eichen."

\\

"I'm going with," Stiles proclaimed, gathering up his hoodie from his unmade bed.

Jacy stood in his room, arms softly folded over her green tank, a cardigan providing a combatant against the strong air conditioning in the Stilinski house. "Babe, I thought you said you were sick."