Forty-Two || Jump

|| Jump

An uncomfortably quiet patrol car gained a segway as the radio crackled to life.

"Any available units, Beacon Hills telecom is requesting an 11-5 at the communication towers off Cypress Lane."

Deputy Clark picked up her mic swiftly. "10-4, Dispatch. I'm in the area."

"Copy Unit 5. A technician was sent over an hour ago and telecom hasn't heard back."

"Copy, I'm 10-76," replied Clark. Rehooking her mic to the unit, she sent a mild look in her sister's direction.

Hayden rolled her eyes. "You're going to drag me to work every night?"

"If I have to."

"You can't keep an eye on me 24/7."

"You disappeared for three days," she corrected. "I'm keeping an eye on you for the rest of your natural born life."

Hayden's irritation grew. "I told you I was with Liam."

"Which doesn't improve your argument." Although still watching the road, she took frequent glances in her sister's direction. "Maybe you think you can do your own thing now. I don't care. You still need me. We look out for each other, remember?"

Remember? Did she remember the night the police arrived at their house, when the girls had been left alone for a date night?

How could she forget?

"For all I knew, you could've been dead."

She remembered that, too.

Deputy Clark pulled up outside of Beacon's telecom building, turning to Hayden as she opened the patrol car door. "Stay here."

The engine of the SUV continued to whir, blasting headlights out into the foggy entrance of the telecom center.

An abandoned yellow truck still running sat empty in Clark's path.

Deputy Clark shined her flashlight into the cab, cautiously opening the driver's side door. She reached in, turning off the vehicle.

A technician was sent over an hour ago.

Hayden watched from afar, Valerie heading toward the fencing that led into the power center. Even from the patrol car, she could see it was unlocked and slightly ajar.

Call for backup, Valerie thought. Something's wrong.

Instead, she went in.

Clark pulled out her gun, positioning it and her flashlight level as she descended a flight of industrial stairs into what seemed like nothingness. Her breathing was beginning to catch, but she did her best to steady it. "Hello?" she called out, voice echoing. "Beacon County Sheriff's Department. Hello?"

Back in the car, Hayden could hear what Valerie couldn't.

"Help me."

Hayden's brows drew in, the sophomore hesitantly climbing out of the SUV. Her eyes were trained on the entrance of the telecom power station, tucking a wave of hair behind her ear to listen closer.

As she shut the car door, her heart jumped at the reflection in the glass, causing her to swing an arm back.

"Liam!" she shouted as she sharply turned. "What are you doing here?"

"I sent you like a hundred texts," he meekly replied.

"I saw," she said, catching her breath.