Nineteen || A Novel Approach

|| A Novel Approach

     That was the night they turned you, Jacy.

     Standing in Sheriff Stilinski's office with both father and son, Jacy tried to pull herself away from the one sentence that had been lingering in the back of her mind since she woke up; no owner to the voice, no context to the sentence.

     "Chimeras."

     Jacy looked up when Stilinski spoke, arms absently folded as she tuned back into the conversation.

    "Two dead chimeras," said Stiles.

     "And eight new one," Jacy offered with a sigh, Stiles standing next to her as they faced the desk. "So that's ten in all."

     "I'm thinking maybe eleven." Stilinski pinned Donovan's mugshot on the cork board, among others. "Our station tech guys confirmed something for me. They said both the holding cell lock and cameras could've malfunctioned because of something electromagnetic." He picked up The Dread Doctors book, tapping it lightly. "You said that these guys-"

     "Dread Doctors," Jacy said.

     "Are we really calling them that?"

     Jacy mildly rolled her eyes, bypassing the question. Disrespectful, she thought, but it left her just as quickly. "So they broke Donovan out?"

     "It's how they got into Eichen, isn't it?"

     Stiles glanced down, pulling back from the conversation as Jacy jumped right in.

     "Donovan's a chimera," she said, walking to the cork board.

     Stilinski sat on the edge of his desk. "Yeah, but is he a failure like Lucas and Tracy?"

     As Jacy went to grab the red marker to cross out his photo, Stilinski stopped her.

     "Not until I've seen a body."

     A moment passed by, and then another until Stilinski turned around, finding his son facing away from them in a back corner of the office.

     "You're uncharacteristically quiet," Noah voiced.

     Stiles looked up, turning around to both Jacy and his father watching him with concern. It wasn't a look he was unfamiliar with. "Sorry, uh, I'm just trying to think about it. Uh," he walked toward them, "these are all teenagers, right? So shouldn't we try to figure out why these teenagers? If the Dread Doctors, if they went through all that, burying them, killing them, breaking one of them out of jail."

     "They couldn't have been chosen at random," Stilinski offered.

     "They had to have something in common. Something that made them right for this experiment," Jacy offered out, looking back to the faces on the board. "Something that made them special."

     Stiles sighed mildly, running a hand along his face. "What beautiful shot in the dark this will be."

     "No kidding." Stilinski motioned toward the door after checking his watch. "Go to school, guys. Don't be late."

     "Yeah, you got it," Stiles said, picking up his backpack from the chair by the door before holding out Jacy's bag to her.

     "Drive safe," the sheriff called before the teens could get out of earshot, shutting his office door behind them.

     "Is your brother here?" asked Stiles, walking next to Jacy on their way out of the station.

     "Not yet. He took a later shift so he could help out Lydia." Jacy sighed lightly, shifting her bag onto her shoulder. "I haven't heard from him much, he's a little spacey."