Forty || The Latin Quarter

|| The Latin Quarter

     "Hey guys," Stiles announced as he shouldered open the front door of the McCall home, toting a tray of coffees from Stella's in his hands, "I've got someone you might want to see."

     Although their ranks had been diminished significantly, two of the three within the house were excited to see Jacy.

     Isaac, however, was still unsure about his thoughts on her. She seemed nice, but she was clouded by mystery.

     Hazel had been that way, too. Before.

     Allison enveloped Jacy tightly, eyes closed as they rocked back and forth. "I'm so glad you're okay."

     Scott waited just shy of Allison as Stiles joined Isaac in the living room. He smiled, hugging Jacy the moment he had a chance. He kissed her on the temple, giving her a final squeeze. "I'm happy you're here."

     "Me too," she said in reply, letting go of him as they joined everyone else in the living room. "What happened to Noah?"

     "We talked to him at the apartment," Allison told her, under Scott's arm as they shared a sofa. "He said he doesn't remember when he turns which is consistent with most of the chimeras."

     "Most of them are made too quickly and too much is expected too fast. They got cocky." Jacy blinked as the room paused, causing the teen to absently cross one leg over the other as she sat adjacent from Isaac in an arm chair. "Sorry."

     "It's okay, J," Scott said. "But Noah knew you, said you told him to run after you examined the bones in his hands. After that, he ran and with ten minutes or so of stumbling, he found us in the tunnels. He started bleeding mercury while he was on his way out of the apartment. He didn't want to stay with us. We didn't think we could force him."

     "Okay," Jacy said with a light nod. "He should be able to run for a while, but if he's already bleeding, they'll be quick to try and find him. When the mercury comes, they've already made their decision of failure or success."

     "How many successes have they had?" Isaac asked, eyes scouring Jacy for any changes in her demeanor.

     "Jace, you don't have to-"

     "It's okay," Jacy assured, interrupting Stiles as she took his hand across the arms of their chairs. She locked eyes with Isaac, no fear in sight. "Two."

     "And I take it you're one of them?"

     Jacy didn't reply.

     "How many more chimeras will there be?" Isaac questioned.

     "They're done making them."

     All brows in the room furrowed, attention falling fully on Jacy.

     "What do you mean they're done?" asked Allison.

     "Done for good?" intersected Isaac.

     "How about I make you a deal, Isaac?" Jacy responded in counter. "I'm not the only one shrouded in mystery. Tell us about France and I'll tell you what I can about the chimeras."

     The others cringed slightly, their plans to bring up the subject much more subtle than Jacy's approach.

     But she didn't have time to be subtle.

     "Why should I be tossed into this?" Isaac asked with a quirked brow. "I'm not hiding anything."

     "Really?" Jacy countered without pause. "You're still presenting yourself as a-"