Chapter 12

Draco's P.O.V

The second she saw the potion her whole body tensed up.

“Draco…”

“Hermione, remember, you wanted to take it before you sleep. It keeps the nightmares away,” I told her.

“I - I don't want to take it an - anymore,” she stuttered, her voice shaking.

She was already forcing air into her lungs.

“You said even if you don't want to take it…” I trailed off.

She sat up at the same time as me.

“Draco,” she whimpered.

“It only takes a second, Hermione.”

She suddenly burst out crying. I set the potion aside and pulled Hermione back to me.

“Calm down, you're making it harder for yourself,” I said softly.

She slowly became short of breath until she was completely hyperventilating.

“No, no… don't do that… please breath Hermione,” I pleaded, rubbing her arms.

She sobbed and gasped. I gently pulled her hands up to my chest.

“Breath with me, Hermione,” I offered. “Come on, in and out.”

Her breathing was fast, and mine was calm. I concentrated on keeping my breathing in line so she could copy. She got a little better. She slowly looked up at me, her eyes so blurred with tears, I didn't think she could actually see me.

“Good, you're doing good. Just work on breathing.”

She didn't get any better. I gently brushed my fingers on her cheeks, wiping the tears away. She got a little better again.

“I - I'm sorry,” she choked as more tears rolled down her cheeks.

She lost her breathing again.

“Hermione, come on, stay with me,” I said softly.

“I'm j - j - just - ”

She coughed and gasped.

“It's okay, I understand,” I told her. “Please, just breathe.

“I - I'm just - ” she wheezed, “I'm just… scared.”

“Hermione, it's okay. I know you're scared,” I said, lightly stroking her cheek. “You just have to trust me. I won't hurt you - ”

I paused when she gasped again.

“Breathe.”

She nodded and closed her eyes. She took deep breaths and pressed her face to my chest. A few shaky sobs escaped her lips.

Once her breathing was a bit more normal, I spoke again.

“Hermione, look at me.”

She rubbed her eyes and looked up. I held her face between my hands.

“Listen to me okay. Don't freak out. I just want you to listen,” I told her.

I completely caught her by surprise when I pressed our lips together. It was the softest, most caring kiss I'd ever given anyone.

When I'd pulled back, her cheeks were flaming red.

“I want you to trust me, okay?” I asked quietly.

She nodded, in a bit of a haze.

“I trust you.”

I grabbed the sleeping drought and handed it to her. Her hands started to shake.