Chapter 23

Draco's P.O.V

When I stepped out of the shower the next day, I was surprised to see Hermione was still asleep on the bed.

I laid next to her and ran by thumb along her cheek. Her skin was so soft. I let my thumb follow the lines of a scar on her cheek. I wondered why she didn't have as many scars on her face.

She shifted slowly, so I stopped touching her face. I wanted to let her sleep. Her head rested on my chest. I was glad the gashes had healed.

One of her hands unconsciously went to my hip. I slowly moved her hand up higher. I wasn't going to be teased.

Hermione shifted on me again, so she was facing me. I stroked her cheek again, surprised when her eyes fluttered open. She was quiet for a moment.

"Can I stay up now?" She whispered.

"Yes."

She relaxed.

"Ugh, your chest is really hard," she mumbled into my shirt.

"Then don't lay on it," I laughed.

"No, it's still comfy," she shook her head.

She moved, so her body was laying completely in mine. It wasn't until now that I realized just how small her body really was. Her feet were barely at mine and her head was still on my chest. She had to be close to a foot shorter than me.

It wasn't uncomfortable being like this either. Hermione was so light, I could still completely relax.

I remembered when Parkinson used to do crap like this. She was so heavy I could hardly breathe. She kept stabbing me with her elbows too. I was glad I wasn't with her anymore.

Hermione jumped up quickly when someone started pounding on the door. Almost instantly, my wrist caught on fire.

I threw open the door. Mother grabbed me and apparated.

We came to the dark lords headquarters. I stood in my spot in the circle.

"Draco," his icy voice came. "Step forward."

I stepped into the middle of the circle. I tried to think about what I did. Then it clicked.

I never finished my last mission.

"Bow to me," the snake like voice ordered.

I didn't hesitate to get on my knees.

"You have failed your mission. You were clumsy and ended in the hospital. Now the rogue death eaters have escaped. We have no way to tell who they are."

"I'm sorry, my lord. I was fighting too many at once. I need more members on my team," I excused.

"Still yet, you must be punished. Crucio."

He was furious. I couldn't help but scream. The curse was mere seconds long, but it felt like hours.

"Now get up. We have a meeting to attend," he growled at me.

I took my place as quickly as I could. Many other members of my team had the same fate as I did.

I glanced at Mother. She had a tortured look in her eyes as she stared at me. I knew she hated it every time I was hit with that curse.

Once the meeting was over, Mother grabbed my arm and apparated back home.

Knowing the drill, I sat in a chair while Mother went to get the usual potions. I slowly peeled my shirt off. It had small lines of blood all over it.

Mother quickly started healing the small gashes. I wondered how Hermione felt going through t this every day for two years.

"Alright, you're all patched up. Go rest," Mother told me.

I nodded and rushed upstairs. When I opened the bedroom door, Hermione was trying to get off the bed.

"Hermione, lay back down," I scolded.

"What happened? " She rushed, ignoring me.

"It was nothing important," I stated, walking to her.

I decided to be an arse and knock her legs from under her. I swiftly caught her bridal style. She gasped loudly making me laugh.

"You act like I'd let you fall," I laughed.

"You just knocked my legs from under me!" She shrieked.

"You should have been sitting," I retorted.

She glared at me as I set her on the bed. I smirked at her angry expression.

"That's cute," I laughed, bopping her nose.