13. The Cake was not a Lie.

Fauna was wracking her brain, how could any one person or group of people pull off that stunt with the statues yesterday. She'd spent all night trying to figure it out, but no one had seen anything! How was that even possible! In the middle of plain daylight! They even enlisted the aid of the elementals! The same elementals who refused to answer any questions claiming that they were sworn to secrecy. This was the first time the elementals hadn't been completely compliant.

She had been the leader of the guards since its inception and she'd always been on top of things, but even this seemed to prove too much for her.

She decided that she needed a break and left her office to grab a snack from the kitchen. With it being Brother Calloway's Birthday there were sure to be plenty of sweets in the kitchen. She would have to pass through the dining room but that shouldn't be too much trouble as long as she could resist the delicious looking masterpiece they called a cake.

When she opened the doors to the dining room she was horrified to see one individual with his feet on the table, but that wasn't the worst part. He was eating the Cake for the Main event!

"Oh hi!" He said between mouthfuls of cake. He was dressed like a pirate with a horrible scar on his face and two swords on his left hip and one cleaver on the back of his belt. "Have some cake and tea, it's marvelous!"

"Wha-wha- why are you- How did you get in here!" Fauna stammered through her surprise.

"Does it really matter, there's CAKE! Here I'll cut you a slice."

The frustration of the night combined with the audacity of his behavior sent Fauna over the edge. "I will cut you down right here and now! That is the Lord's cake!"

Fauna pulled out her sword, and in less than a second she was swinging at him.

"Hey that's sharp, lady!" Calloway dodged her with less grace than he was able while he ate the rest of his cake.

"You're. trespassing. And how dare you. Eat the master's. Cake." She said as she swung at him.

"Last I checked, the Calloway fella was long gone. Got himself some nifty statues yesterday though, Lazy bastard can't even show up to appreciate them." Calloway mocked while eating his food.

"How. Dare. You!" she swung even harder at him.

Calloway finished his cake off with a sip of tea and then grabbed the handle of one of his cutlasses with his left hand. "Are you sure we have to fight, can't we just eat some cake instead." He pulled his sword out and blocked a downward stroke from Fauna.

[Passive ability, Aura of the Dread pirate. MAXED]

The Dread Pirate is one of the most feared predators of the sea. They raise a red flag which means they plan on leaving no survivors. Those who travel the sea fear the Dread Pirate as the grim reaper of the seas.

Ability only in effect when user wields a blade longer than a foot.

Effect all who can see Dread Pirate within 100 meters

Chance of stunning enemies 25%

Lowers enemies accuracy by 30%

Lowers enemies damage by 30%

25% to inflict enemies with fear (enemies with drop weapons and run away from Dread Pirate)

20% chance to Inflicts paralysis for 10 seconds

Effects 1.5x when two blades equipped

The moment Fauna's sword met the strangers, she knew she had made a mistake by attacking him, but it was too late now. She fought through the fear as her knees shivered and her hair bristled. Now was no time to panic.

"Good strike, now let's see your footwork." Calloway separated himself from her and took a fencer's stance with his right hand behind his back.

He stepped toward her and she stepped back. He stepped to the right and she also stepped to match him.

"Good, very good. Now let's start something a little more complicated."

** ** **

A young maid burst into the Princess's room.

"My Lady, Come quickly a fight has broken out in the dining hall. The Sylvan knights are being pushed back." The maid was out of breath.

"Assemble the guard!" Shayley dropped the necklaces that she was looking at. The sun was barely rising so she only wore a simple silk night gown. She opened her dresser and pulled out her leather hunting pants. In one fluid motion, the leather pants were on. On a hanger near her door there was a brown leather jacket. She wasn't worried about modesty, the pants and jacket were enchanted with powerful defensive properties.

"They have already been neutralized."

"That's impossible! How numerous are the enemies?"

"As far as we can tell ma'am there's only one, but we suspect that he didn't act alone."

Shayley pulled her sword from her dresser, it was the Seventh Verse an exceptionally well crafted blade. She didn't bother to put it on, she merely freed it from its scabbard and said. "Take me too him!"