85. The manliest of all elves

"Interesting. After learning what you know, what are your feelings on Brother Calloway?" Cal asked.

Loreon turned to his brothers and they nodded as if they shared the same feelings.

"I was raised thinking that Brother Calloway was the benevolent God of the Pearly City who watched over us with this perfect city that he made. We were taught to believe the city's keepers were angels who watch over us in our sleep and keep the bad things away. I don't know if I can easily shake these beliefs, since they were ingrained in me since birth. But I disagree with the ideology that the city must remain the same or we're are dishonoring his memory and intentions."

Loreon made fists and began to shake. "This may have been a City of Elves, but he brought in dryads, foxes, and even slimes. If he had been here longer I'm positive he would have invited the other races to share in our bounty. I don't think that he would have like to have seen children thrown out to perish on the streets because of their lineage. He would have wanted better from us!" Loreon's passion reached his brothers shown by their sniffling. Loreon himself couldn't hide the water lining his cheeks.

"This is a dangerous game, son." Cal spoke as if he were so much older and wiser than this man. "Sentimentality is one thing, but you could just turn around and stab me in the back later."

"We came here knowing the possible consequences of our actions. I have full confidence in my brothers... Therefore, if you must test our sincerity I will give my life to seal our alliance!"

That's a new one, Cal thought.

"Brother!"

"No Treveon, as a man this is something I must do."

He wanted a show so he might as well help the poor noble kid out, he had his honor after all. "Very well." Cal pulled his cleaver out, "this is a cursed blade made for separating limbs from bodies. It won't take any effort to remove your head from your shoulders."

The aura of the dread pirated shook the room with horrific pressure.

"Brother, we never talked about this!"

"I know Zoreon, I didn't tell you because I didn't want you to stop me if it came to this."

"You may say your goodbyes. You've been incredibly manly so far." Cal walked passed them to lock his door. Then returned to sit on the edge of his desk. He was intrigued. This man reacted to his aura, they all did, but this man was resolute. An interesting quality.

"Thank you." Loreon turned to his brother and put a hand on each of their shoulders. "Zoreon, you were always the bravest of us, protect our future. Treveon, you were always smarter than me, if anyone can lead us to success it's you. Tell my wife I love her."

They said their tearfully goodbyes in the way so manly it even made Cal tear up. He even regretted what he was about to do.

"I'm ready, with this our alliance will be cemented."

"Yes, I want your word on your house and your loved ones, that you won't seek vengeance for what I'm about to do in this life or the next."

They each pledged.

"Very well, let us begin. Step back you two."

They did as Cal asked. Cal stood in front of Loreon, and noticed him shaking. "Nervous?"

"A man must face his death straight on with honor. I must not look uncool in front of my beloved brothers in my last moments."

Damn this guy sure was something. Cal really admired his straightforward honesty. It was refreshing in this city so full of back room deals. Well this was one of those deals but now Cal had to put on a show himself.