63. Alliances

The Driders had the upper body of a beautiful man or woman and the lower body of a spider. Also called Arachne amongst themselves, Driders were covered with some ink colored chiton armor, their milky white skin was hidden by only the barest amounts of silken clothes to cover their modesty.

The Lamia were snake women, much like they Driders they were split between human and monster. With the exception that all Lamia were female, they had the lower bodies of snakes and the upper bodies of beautiful women.

The wasp like people were an obscure branch of the Beastkin tribes known as the Waspkin. They had glassy black eyes, pale yellow skin, semi-transparent wings, and antenna. Every one of them had silky black hair and black chiton armor, they were a more thorough mix between the species rather than half and half. Where the male drone had a sophisticated air about him with a white toga, the two female warriors had on metal armor with swords and shields.

The lead Drider had a red black widow design on the back of her thorax she was the first to arrive and to speak.

"I am the chosen representative of the Drider clan, Saltif Widow."

Next was the Lamia princess.

"I am called Cinthea first princess of the Lamia Clan."

Next was the Drone.

"This one is known as Vincent. My queen has sent me in her stead."

Saltif addressed Barnabas, "You have done well to summon us like this, but who are these with you?"

"Of course, this is Princess Shayley of the Pearly city, and... well..." Barnabas paused when he tried to introduce Cal.

"You may call me the Architect. Forgive my impoliteness, but I can't reveal my identity just yet." Cal bowed respectfully.

Seamus knew that Cal was a man of many masks, but this dignified side of him made him feel like the Brother Calloway from the stories.

"The Architect, wearing the mask of the silver owl and toting around a princess, this one thinks that you are no ordinary man." Vincent observed.

"Indeed, but it is not matter. Despite what my queen has ordered I do not like this idea of an alliance with the elves. Why do our people need to be recognized by the likes of these pointy eared forest hoppers?" Cinthea crossed her arms.

"This one also finds it peculiar that they would reach out to us suddenly at this time." Vincent, he was the clever one.

"My purpose is in my title, I simply wish to build up a city that has been stagnant for so long. Your kinds have been done great injustices, you've been seen as pests, enemies, even wild game for trophy hunting. I seek to rectify these injustices, it isn't without gain of course, but I feel like a mutually beneficial agreement is more trustworthy than altruism."

"What exactly do you hope to gain by introducing our kind into your elven paradise?" Saltif asked, her skeptism was evident.

"You seem to be misinformed, the city of Perils is not a paradise, it's a fortress, maintained by the elementals, stocked by the elves, and garrisoned by the powerful. Besides, 'your kind' are the least of my concerns when monsters like this Glutton walk our streets." Cal pointed at Titania.

"Oh master, you're going to make me blush." Titania squirmed like a school girl.

"A slime queen. This one thinks there is more to your story, you are gathering an army. For what purpose?" Vincent said.

"An army?" Cinthea was shocked.

"Surely you've heard of the Dravenkin, they have already allied with us."

"""...!"""

"By the looks on your face, I can only assume you've heard of them, Shayley is one of them as well. The Dravenkin have already solidified a formal alliance with the city. The greatest most dangerous predators of the forest, no? However, this alliance with the city is also an alliance with them. It may be distasteful for those who harbor hard feelings, but for the generations to come there can be peace."

"Princess, can you confirm this alliance?" Saltif asked.

"I've been reunited with my family thanks to a very dear friend, and they have sworn to protect the city, its inhabitants, and its allies."

"This one thinks you still haven't answered this one's question." Vincent pressed.

Cal continued, "soon we'll be cleansing the cursed sea, integrating the ghost pirates into our ranks, opening sea trade, and hopefully reestablishing contact with the lost Western Shore of elves. We are increasing our naval power, and creating new alliances outside the elves, who are jealous of our might and culture. Soon I will expand the city and create a great Kingdom."

"So it's conquest, how many lives are you planning on sacrificing for your ambitions!" Cinthea raged.

"What I want is what any architect would want, to create something great. But first, we must survive the slaughter that will overwhelm our city."

"""!!!"""

"A great darkness is coming, it will come from far away and reach as far as here. It's army's unknown strength, the innumerable amount of foes that will rake the land. What am I going to do with the army, I'm going to conquer the darkness to protect those I love. How many am I going to sacrifice? I guess that depends... on if there are any survivors. I assure you that this kind of darkness will surely ravage the forest just before they climb our walls."

"So you want us as pawns. I cannot say that I do not see the benefit in recruiting us. But what difference is there in defending our walls or yours if we are still on the front line of slaughter?" Saltif asked.

"Make no mistake, there are benefits. You will become vassals of the kingdom directly under the royal family. As such you will rank among the nobles in terms of status, your leaders will have say in policies and laws made for its people. The territory of the Pearly city will, for the first time, expand its boundaries and its protection beyond its illustrious walls. We will also be allotting fertile land previously off limits to those under the alliance for the sake of strengthening the people."