37. The Oathkeepers and the Fluffy Dragon

Cal, the princess, and two beefy Dravenkin elves finally burst from the Guild master's office.

Nyana could sense the urgency pouring from them. "I wonder where the Meowster is going?"

"Wendy, I'm going out, hold down the fort." Cal announced as he left the Guild.

Wendy was going to stop him and make him stop fooling around, but he had a serious look on his face and by the way the princess was acting she knew that Cal wasn't goofing around.

When they left, Nyana and Yan approached Wendy.

"Wow, Meowster is so cool." Nyana purred.

"Indeed, he seems quite adequate." Yan nodded her head.

Wendy just shook her head, "Get back to work, girls."

WHAM!

The noise of the door slamming open scared half of their customers.

"Yo, Wendy! Those four are new Adventurers sign them up and I'll review the paperwork when I get back. Toodles!" Cal left as soon as he appeared.

"That's more like it." Wendy laughed at Nyana's and Yan's stunned reaction to Cal.

Wendy went over to the table with the four Dravenkin elves. "Welcome to the guild, noobs. I am Wendy the assistant guild master, fill out these forms then we'll get you fitted for your uniforms."

"Tch, like we'd really put on those ridiculous outfits. We're warriors, doing anything less is beneath us." One of them argued.

Wendy's eyebrow twitched. "Do you know what these are?" she set three playing cards on the table.

"They're playing cards."

"Correct. The four of clubs."

The four elves sunk to the ground as gravity pulled at them without mercy.

"The four of diamonds."

The four elves lit on fire and the raging inferno scared some of the nearby guests.

"And the eight of spades."

Eight swords materialized above the elves and pinned them to the table and ground. The elves grunted in pain but were too macho to do more than grind their teeth and fight against the magic.

As they started to stand on their own through their own strength of will, Wendy gave a fake surprised face.

"Oh my, whatever will I do if you keep making those scary faces. I guess I have no choice, I'll have to start playing with a full deck."

She pulled a deck of playing cards out of thin air like she was a professional dealer and began a coordinated series of shuffling techniques.

"Now should I deal each of you five cards to start?"

Nyana and Yan cowered.

"Mistress is scary, meow." Nyana held hands with Yan.

"I-i-indeed," Yan stuttered.

"Girls." Wendy chimed as she addressed Yan and Nyana.

"Y-yes mistress," The girls' knees quaked as the killing intent from Wendy's wicked smile dripped like miasma.

"The café is closed due to guild training matters, please notify the guests and invite them to leave. After paying their tab."

"Yes ma'am." They chimed.

** ** **

Cal led the party to the docks where the map took them.

"Kadoka's fluffy dragon ferry service?" Shayley read the sign over the front door.