83. Player 1 and Player 2 meet

"So let me take another guess, when it comes to the world vs demons in the battle for Middle Earth. You're scared that the Demonkin will too closely resemble the demons and be discriminated against." Cal asked.

"I don't know what this middle earth is, but yes that's about right. We took a chance and traveled east when we heard the Pearly City was up to something. With the diverse nature of the city we were hoping an alliance would put off that discrimination for a time." The prince looked visibly troubled.

"But if the demonkin were the only ones that showed up it would only make things worse so you brought the Beastkin Princess to give the alliance credibility."

"Precisely."

"And then you also brought Elenora because she's unique."

"Yes."

"But you couldn't come in an official escort in case negotiations break down."

"..."

"Because you mean to propose a marital alliance between the two factions."

"Yes."

"Well I can't let you do that."

""""What!""""

"I thought you said you wanted to help us!" Elenora stood up.

"Sit down player two. Let me finish. Look prince, I can't let you marry the princess. But that doesn't mean the alliance is in trouble."

"But-"

An intense pressure filled the room, the bloodlust was so thick it made their ears ring with a low rumbling tone.

"You can't have her." Cal released the pressure and sighed. He rubbed his temples. "I can't tell if you're making my job easier or harder. I need some tea."

Just then Wendy entered the room with the food she laid it in front of the guests with some ale and finally brought Cal a cup of lavender tea.

"You're a gem, Wendy." Cal sipped the tea.

"Why not?" The prince asked, willing to at least hear him out.

"If I were to accurately describe the political situation in the city it would take time we don't have, and if I failed to explain it, you might try to kill me. At which point I'd have to kill you and that just wouldn't be fun for anyone. So let's explore the alternatives before we throw all of our eggs in one hat, Yes?"

Killian didn't like it, but he leaned back in his chair. "What do you have in mind?"

"What I'm about to tell you can't leave this room, and must not be discussed with anyone but the princess and the man who goes by name the Architect."

"You're the more of a fox than an elf, Cal. I'll hear you out, and then decide."

"I think we're going to get along famously, Prince Killian."

"We'll see."

"First, let me tell you a little story about a man named Brother Calloway."

** ** **

Cal and Elenora sat alone in his office. Somehow, he'd managed to talk Killian into his plan. But now he needed a minute with the loud-mouthed girl.

"Cal are you really...?" Elenora asked.

"From another world?" He finished her question.

She nodded her head.

"Yes, long story short: I got in the way, ended up dead by mistake and Kami was really excited to send me here."

"Are you really dating an NPC?"

"We both got transferred to another world, and that is what you want to talk about?"

Elenora shrugged.

"She's my fiancé, I also have a daughter, adopted."

"You work fast how long have you been here?"

"A little over a month."

"Sounds about right. Man, most people get sent to another world go on an adventure and gather a harem, but you really set down roots fast."

"I tried, and then adventure hit me in the face with the soggy fist of responsibility. Obviously, I had to start my own guild and ya. So where is your harem?"

Elenora began to tear up, "I'm not OP so nobody wants me!"

Cal raised he eyebrow, "what level are you?"

"75, I got stuck deciding on another class and ended up just doing side quests for the longest time, I totally forgot about it."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah, what level are you?"

"101, man I think even my daughter could take you."

"That's not funny."

"My daughter is badass, she schooled one of the Sylvan knights who was in her 70's."

"For real? How old is your daughter?"

"She's old for a human but she's essentially six, she's already level 43."

"You're lying."

"Nope, she's one of a kind though. She didn't get this far by having an easy life." Cal sighed. "It definitely wasn't fair either. It's part of the reason I'm working so hard to fix this city. And why I have to play my cards under the radar while I can."

"Why did you decide to adopt?"

"I couldn't leave her in the streets, and now that I know more I'm extra glad that I didn't."

"And you're fiancé?"

"That's a much longer story, I'd much rather tell it later when there's a solid 'happily ever after' ending I can fade to black with."

"That's right, weren't you guys fighting?"

"It's another long story, but we're panning it out. I guess you could say I'm way over protective over Ophelia. I lost my head and said some things I shouldn't have for her sake. All because yesterday she made her cry and it took all I had just to walk away."

"So what now?"

"I told her to sneak into bed with Ophelia for the night. Ophelia has night terrors that tie to her trauma and her magic. I'm hoping a night together will do them some good."

"I take it you and your fiancé don't live together then?"

"Nope. But that woman." Cal looked into the distance and a smile warmed his tired face. "She's really something alright. Did you know she waited for me for over two hundred years?"

"Are you serious? You did something perverted didn't you!"

"If only it could be explained away as easily as that. Nope, I never once wrote 'Madly in love with Cal' in her bio. I didn't write anything remotely close to it either."

"Then why?"

Cal's face burned a little. "I did something embarrassing right before the servers timed out. Nothing shameful mind you, it's just it stuck with her."

"Damn, you better not let that one get away, buddy."

"I'm doing my best. Kami sent me here wearing a fangirl shirt with our names on it."

She laughed, "Kami would do something like that."

"I'm going to cut this short here. But everything we've talked about here has to be secret, do you understand."

"My lips are sealed."

"Good, because if Ophelia gets hurt because you blabbed..."

Elenora laughed nervously as the bloodlust turned the entire room a shade darker.