53. Weak protecting the strong

It was dark when Cal finally left.

Alea sniffled as she took in everything he said to her.

"Ow, jeez be more gentle."

Her feline ears twitched. The door of the medical bay opened revealing Naomi carrying Yvette. They were both ragged and bloody, but it didn't seem like there was anything life threatening.

Wendy led the way to the bed next to Alea.

"Honestly Naomi, to think that you'd be so reckless and get your older sister hurt. Why didn't you come back sooner, you know it's dangerous out there when it gets dark." Wendy helped Yvette onto the bed.

Following them were two of the Dravenkin who weren't more than a little sweaty and Dela who was getting bandages ready.

"Mom, it wasn't me this time it was Evie." Naomi protested.

"It's true ma'am, it was Yvette who kept pushing us." Dinus, the clumsy elf defended before he stubbed his toe and yelped in pain.

"Eyes like demon." Clu the large elf pointed at his eye.

"She snarled like one too, she's definitely your daughter... Sorry, I'm sorry." Dinus backed away.

"Mire!" Wendy called for the Fire Elemental. Her duties in the kitchen were done since the café was officially closed at this time of day.

Ramirez was a tall beauty with olive honey skin. She was soft spoken and had a talent for working with her hands, she displayed her skills most profoundly in the kitchen after Cal gave them a ton of new recipes to try. The very same otherworldly recipes that were making the cafe so famous.

"You called, Wendy?" Ramirez had an elegant grace as she walked into the medical bay.

"These gentlemen had a long day, please wrap their wounds and send them off to bed." Wendy's voice was calm and well mannered.

"Right away."

Ramirez walked over to one of the cabinets, and pulled out some rubbing alcohol.

"It also seems as if they were partially to blame for Yvette's current predicament."

The glass bottle in Ramirez's hand shattered.

"Oh, dear me, I shall have to take exceptional care of these gentleman."

"Please do."

Ramirez dragged them screaming into one of the private rooms. It was no surprise that she was angry with them. She and Yvette were extremely close since they spent most of their café experience as cooks together.

...

Once Yvette was treated, and Wendy stopped worrying, they left her and Alea alone for the night in the medical bay.

"I didn't think you'd be the one pushing for training." Alea observed.

"Shut up!" Yvette snapped.

Her outburst stunned Yvette. Sure, Yvette treat her like pest sometimes, but she never barked at her like that.

"Darling I-"

"You're such an idiot!" Yvette threw and empty bottle of rubbing alcohol at Alea's head which bounced off and rolled on the floor.

"Owie, that hurt." Alea had tears in her eyes as she rubbed the lump on her head.

Yvette sat up and curled her knees into her chest. "I did it for you, you big stupid idiot." Her voice was much lower, almost a whisper.

"Darling I-"

"Don't call me Darling anymore. Not if you don't mean it."

Alea's Ears sank. An indescribable pain pressed down on her chest.

"Ev- Yvette..."

"You only respect strength, right? You brushed right passed me like I didn't exist on your way to your stupid duel. I didn't even have a chance to stop you, not that you would have even listened to what I had to say either way. . . . . . So I'm going to get stronger, strong enough to protect you..."

"Protect... Me?"

Yvette grabbed another bottle and threw it at Alea's head.

Ping!

"Mwow!"

The half full bottle of rubbing alcohol had a little bit more of a kick and when it landed on the ground it just rolled around. Seriously what are these things made of?

"From yourself, you giant Moron, Jeez!" Yvette thanked the darkness since it hid her blush.

"... do you really mean it?" Alea couldn't believe her ears. Nobody ever offered to protect her, and before Cal's lecture she might have considered it an insult.

"Well duh! Everyone around you has done a pretty piss poor job. Even Tiki enabled you over that stupid duel. I know she's your friend and all but... Dammit. You're just too irresponsible. Someone's got to be your breaks when you get like that and I don't see anyone stepping up, least of all our jackass master."

Well he did plan it.

Something in Alea's heart melted. She remembered what Yvette had looked like when she walked in. She did all that... for her. She wasn't anywhere near strong enough to best her in combat, yet she claimed to want to protect her, she even showed what lengths she was willing to go through to reach that point.

"I'm going to become stronger, I'm not fast like my sister, I'm no warrior like the princess, I'm not as smart as my mom, and I'm not as stupidly talented as Calloway or my father. But I'm going to find it, my own way to be stronger than you, so I can stop you next time you do something stupid... that way... you'll never have to make that sad face again."

"Yvette..."

"Shut up. Shut up and go to sleep!" Yvette rolled on her side away from Alea, saying anymore was just too embarrassing. She was sure that Alea could see her face glowing, even with how dark it was. "Stupid cat."

After a moment, something heavy moved around on the bed behind her and something soft and warm wrapped itself around her. Alea's broken voice came in her ear.

"If you're is going to protect me, then I'm going to have to protect you back."

Soft globes pressed against Yvette's back and soft hands wrapped themselves around Yvette's bare waist under her shirt.

This was too embarrassing, Yvette was going to push her away when she heard Alea sniffle. Warm tears soaked into the back of Yvette's shirt.

"...can we stay like this?"

Yvette relaxed, she was embarrassed but she wasn't heartless.

"Moron... Do what you want." One night would be so bad.

Alea started purring. The soft rumble flowed into Alea's tired body like a lullaby. It wasn't long before Yvette gave in to sleep, but right before she heard Alea whisper.

"... thank you, Darling..."

It wasn't exactly what Cal meant when he said to surround herself with people that care about her. But what are you going to do?