56. French toast

[Days to Ragnarok]

[1 month] [3 days]

Cal began the day with breakfast, with his daughter. There was a kitchen just for the guild on the first floor. Tiki was basically Cal's personal maid assigned to him by the princess, but he didn't always see her that way as he wore a 'kiss the chef' apron in the kitchen. He even had Ophelia help since she was so handy with a blade.

Any other parent would have seen a six year old with a knife and thrown a fit, but Cal wasn't any typical parent. And Ophelia wasn't any normal girl.

As an oracle she had a few years worth of experience built up so she had a leg up on most her age. She also had to deal with the cruel world earlier than most her age.

The guild felt a little more official now that it was separated from the café. Just to the left of the door was an elaborate staircase that went up to the loft. Normally one of the staff stayed at the bottom at a podium to direct guests to the café or offer to take quests for the guild. Which wasn't as often as Cal wanted.

Under the loft a few tables were set up for the guild members. Since there wasn't any questing to speak of, it became more of a break room for those working and the open space for sparing and working out. Some of the less bashful of customers would peek over the edge and watch the hot sweaty men glistened as their fists clashed.

Don was at the top of the popularity poles, whenever he took off his shirt there was a scream from the café's patrons. But he wasn't used to city women so he always wondered what the noise was for.

Today there was a different kind of crowd gathering next to the banister.

"Something smells, really good."

"Ya, what is that smell."

"Is that a little girl, WHY is she holding a knife!"

"Is that her father, how irresponsible of him."

"No wait, look at how well she cutting that bread."

"She a better cook than you, dear."

"Shut up."

"What is he even making?"

"I don't know, but it smells delicious, I wonder if they serve it here."

"Aw, the little girl is so adorable!"

"Okay but look at her Dad, talk about Hubba Hubba."

"I don't see a wedding ring do you think he's available."

"I hear she adopted so I think he's free."

"I like my men with a little more meat on their bones."

"But look how cute he is with his daughter."

"Girls, that's the guildmaster, I hear he took on the whole Dravenkin tribe and won. That's how he recruited those other four hotties."

"No way, now I only want him more."

Someone cleared their throat, the group of young ladies were interrupted by the manager.

"Sorry to burst your bubbles ladies, but the master already has a woman, and he's the loyal type."

"""WHAT! WHO?"""

"Isn't it obvious?" Wendy pointed at Cal.

Cal picked up a giggling Ophelia and spun her around.

"Trust me, when it comes to men, daddy's little girl is always number one. Take it from someone who knows from experience. Now please return to your seats unless you have a quest to issue the guild."

"It was fun while it lasted. I guess."

The girls returned to their seats.

Cal sat and ate with Naomi and the Lightening clan next to them. Alea and Yvette were still in the med bay. Naomi was eating with the lightning elementals while most of the Dravenkin were working. Clu and Webs were on doubles for the next three weeks straight.

"Cabin boy! You awake?" Cal called.

"Master?" Seamus peeked over the banister.

He was already decked out with a fancy uniform. Wendy was efficient, not only did she have him already working first thing in the morning, he already had a custom fit butler outfit. He was busing tables and washing dishes so he didn't have a blazer quite yet because he didn't need it. His sleeves were rolled up, but his quiet dignity made him look at home in his uniform.

"We made some for you too, I don't care if you've already eaten. If you don't come eat Ophelia's food she'll be sad.~"

Every eye turned to Seamus, he looked to Wendy.

She shrugged her shoulders. "He is the master. You'll be worse off if you don't go."

He did a back flip over the banister to land downstairs, and crashlanded on his butt. Cal had told him that he had to keep a low profile as an ace assassin due to his age. He was supposed to 'try' to show off and 'bumble' at least three times a day... without damaging too many things. Or it would come out of his pay.

Everyone dropped their jaws as he brushed himself off nonchalantly, and walked over to the table Cal had set up.

Why was he so awkward? Must be the culture change and since he his in the shadows, acting and charm probably weren't lessons in his arsenal. The only social skill he likely possessed was probably his overly formal behavior meant for his employers.

Cal smiled it was charming, he was eager to see the growth in the boy who only knew how to kill from the shadows.

"Cabin boy, this is my daughter, Ophelia. Ophelia, say hi to our new Cabin boy, Seamus."

"Hello~ Here, I helped make this." Ophelia held up a plate of cinnamon French toast. It wasn't a dish that had been seen in this world.

Cal had decided to slowly introduce some of his otherworldly knowledge to help his cause, however most of it was just going to cause undo attention too soon. Timing was everything so he started with a menu when he first opened the guild but French toast was just a hometown favorite he meant to keep to himself as much as possible.

He knew a wide variety of breakfast and brunch foods from his world since he'd worked at the Family restaurant for a while. So long in fact, he was trained on everything from chef to bus boy. The only reason he never became manager was because it would take out of his game time.

Ophelia's tiny arms held the plate with her proud smile that was too precious to handle. Everyone who saw awed at her. It helped that most of the restaurant was full of girls, thanks to the classy atmosphere and the man candy rumors.

Also thanks to Cal's unfortunate bias while he made the city. It was the only place in the world where women held every major political role... until the nobles came.

Cal has no political motivations by it, he just thought women were prettier to look at.

"It is pleasure to meet you miss Ophelia, I am forever grateful for the kindness your father has shown a clumsy oaf like me."

Ophelia giggled. "Silly, he didn't just do it because he's nice. Papa only takes on disciples that have a heart for adventure."

He blinked at Cal.

"Did I mention she's an oracle, and on top of that, she's so adorable." Cal cuddled his daughter. "Now sit down and eat with us before your break is over."