55. Two Lost Souls

"You brought home another one?" Wendy tapped her foot.

Cal scratched his head and laughed nervously while Seamus bowed slightly.

Shayley was reluctant to let Cal go once it got dark, but he insisted that he had things that he needed to take care of before it got too late.

"He can wash dishes and bus tables, besides I see him being a capable adventurer one day."

Wendy looked the ragged boy up and down. He had three piercings in one of his ears. It wasn't hard for her to see that they were made by Cal.

They were for Seamus's disguise since he was originally an assassin. The first turned his flowing midnight black hair a spiky snowy white. The second lighted his dark elf skin tone by about two shades and slightly altered his complexion. The last reshaped his facial features and changed his eye color from yellow to a cool blue.

"When was the last time you bathed?" Wendy asked.

"A fortnight ago."

"Hmm..." Wendy's eyes were almost as sharp as her mind. "I'm sure the master will tell me the necessary details later if I must know. Until then I am Wendy Starchaser the Verdant Oathkeeper's Assistant Guildmaster."

"I am called Seamus." He bowed slightly again.

Wendy grinned. "At least this one has manners."

"He didn't when we met. Please take care of him, I'll arrange a room with Peter like the others." Cal laughed nervously.

"There is no need, master. I'll take care of the arrangements." Wendy said.

This surprised Cal, normally she wouldn't dare go near the tavern. How long had he been gone and what had happened? He gave Peter some advice a while ago but he didn't think that it would make this much of a difference.

"I'll let you do that then..." Cal motioned Seamus forward.

"In the meantime, I think Tiki is about to put Ophelia to bed."

Seamus looked confused.

"Ophelia is my daughter."

When Seamus's eyes almost popped out of his head, Cal couldn't help but laugh a little.

"She's my adopted daughter."

Cal took that moment to rush upstairs.

"Ophelia? You mean-" Seamus asked.

Wendy cut him off. "Yes, she's the oracle child. And if you want to stay alive, I wouldn't call her a witch or cursed even on the best of days. Cal can be overprotective, he nearly tore the head off a girl he considered a friend when she mentioned it."

Seamus gulped. "Noted."

"A man of few words, we have some of those here. Now let's get you settled."

Seamus bowed. "I am in your care."

"Well, you might just be too polite for washing dishes."

** ** **

"Tiki... I miss papa..." Ophelia cuddled with the plushie fox Tiki had sewn together for her that looked like Cals silver fox form, only this one had an eyepatch so it matched Cal better.

"I'm sure Master-" Tiki started tucking Ophelia in bed when the door burst open.

WHAM!

"Did someone call me?" Cal kicked open the door.

"Papa!" Ophelia kicked off the covers with her tiny legs and ran into Cal's arms.

"I'll leave you two alone." Tiki giggled.

"Come on let's put you to bed." Cal led Ophelia back to the bed.

Once in bed they snuggled together. Ever since Ophelia said that she no longer wanted to sleep alone Cal hadn't to heart to do anything but cuddle with her every night. While they were in the dark woods he was too anxious to fall asleep and wake up without her in his arms so he watched over her for two weeks straight.

If that's not fatherly love, what is?

Under the sheets Ophelia snuggled into Cal's chest.

"Papa, you smell good."

"Well I did just take a bath."

"Mm'mm, that's not what I meant. You smell happy. I'm happy mommy said yes again."

Cal chuckled. "Yeah I didn't think she would."

"I did."

"Of course you did. I'd expect nothing less from my daughter. I didn't want to ask, but you knew this was going to happen?"

"Mmhmm."

"Don't be shy, I love everything about you, Squirt. Remember, we are working on channeling your power. I don't expect perfection, the fun is in the journey. Enjoying that journey is what it means to be an Adventurer."

"Can mommy be an adventurer with us?"

Cal laughed, "how about this, if you're a good little adventurer for papa and Tiki, I'll invite Mommy on our next adventure."

Ophelia's whole body sparkled with determination which just made Cal hug her even tighter.

Going forward, time was going to be a continuous issue so he was going to have to spend the next couple days checking up on the projects he had in the works. After all, he was working the Sylvan knights to the bone.

A thought crossed Cal's mind.

"You already know everything don't you?"

"... Kami is really nice to Papa."

He squeezed his precious daughter, this was one person he absolutely needed in his life. he was never going to let her go. Ophelia squeezed him back.

He hadn't realized how alone he'd been until he met Ophelia. Endless hours alone in a dark room playing a game. Then he was lying to everyone who thought he was some great person. Now, after all was said and done he found something worth protecting, he found a purpose, he found love.

In the darkness of that room two lost souls found each other. Their secrets were bared to one another, one was feared as wretched monster the other revered as a God. But at the end of the day all they wanted was someone who understood and loved them regardless. Together they were whole because they formed a bond that couldn't be broken.

A familial bond between a father and daughter as they faced the world together.

It was dark but it couldn't hide their smiles as they used what simple love they had to protect one another.

Ophelia's warm body and maple scented hair lulled Cal's busy mind to sleep. While Cal's singular embrace and the tart smell of victa berries gave her all the feelings of being in a loving home and protection from her nightmares.