Chapter 1 - New Boy

"Cascade Brown, can you tell me the answer to Question 32?"

I was launched out of my mid-afternoon daydream by Miss Jones glaring down at me, along with the rest of my class. I gulped. Why did I have to have Algebra on a Friday afternoon? This should be illegal.

Realizing that I should probably provide an answer to my needy teacher, who obviously didn't know the answer herself, I glanced down at the test sheet on my desk, which was covered in doodles. After I had quickly located Question 32, I noticed I hadn't even written an answer for it.

"Well, Cascade?" Miss Jones was getting agitated, I could tell by the way veins were about to pop out of her forehead, like a blocked water pipe.

RING RING RING!

The school bell echoed around the classroom, and was followed by the sounds of scraping chairs and bag zips.

Saved by the bell, praise the lord.

Miss Jones simply stood at the front of the classroom defeated as our whole class piled out of the room, including me. I shoved my blue pencil case into my backpack and swung it over my shoulder, joining my best friend Rachael as we entered the crowded hallway.

"You got lucky there, Cass." Rachael muttered as we made our way through the crowd towards the front of the school. All my close friends called me Cass, and I'm still annoyed that my parents came up with the stupid name of Cascade. What were they thinking?

"I hate Algebra, why should it be mandatory anyway?" I said, pushing open one of the front doors of our high school and bounding down the steps towards the yellow school bus. I looked up to the sky to find it was raining. Heavily. Rachael grabbed my hand and raced towards the bus, not wanting to ruin her makeup that takes hours to put on, apparently. I didn't care, I loved the rain. Not sure if the contents of my canvas backpack liked it though...

"Ugh, I hate rain with a passion!" Rachael groaned, plonking herself down next to me at the front of the bus. We always sat at the front because people smoked and did all sorts at the back of the bus. The driver was an old man who listened to Elvis really loudly from an ancient Walkman, so he was oblivious to the activities of dodgy high-schoolers.

"It's not that bad, Rach." I replied, reaching into my bag and grabbing an opened packet of sherbet lemons. I offered one to Rachael and popped one into my mouth, instantly pleased by the sweetness of the confection.

"You don't bother with makeup. I do." Rachael has been my best friend since kindergarten, and our mothers still chat all the time as well. Growing up, Rachael was the one playing with princess dolls and putting on her mother's makeup, whilst I was climbing trees, breaking bones and always yearning to go to the swimming pool. She's the typical girly girl, I'm the weird tomboy. Nowadays, Rachael spends her time shopping at the mall, texting me and her other friends, and going to Starbucks for over-priced coffee. Me? I go swimming pretty much everyday, read books, watch Star Wars on repeat, and muck around with chemistry sets. I told you I was weird. Still, we fit together like two peas in a pod. Rach watches me at swim practice most afternoons, and I reluctantly follow her around the mall occasionally, but only if Hot Topic is involved.

After a few minutes of waiting for everyone to pile onto the bus, the old driver started up the engine and began the route towards the center of San Francisco, our city. I leaned back in my chair and gazed out the raindrop-stained window, watching students run home along the slippery pavements.

"So, have you seen the new boy yet?" Rachael asked, flicking through her Instagram feed on her phone. I looked over at her and shook my head. I wasn't fazed by the comings and goings of our high school. Rachael ignored my 'I'm not interested' face and continued talking.

"He's really cute but kinda weird. He was in some of my classes today. In debate club he was basically leading us, and he's really cocky all the time." Rachael explained. On her phone, she brought up an Instagram profile of the name aidan.smith67. Deciding I nothing better to do on this smelly school bus, I leaned over as Rachael tapped a recent image on the account's feed, showing a boy with floppy, black hair and a crooked smile. I get what Rachael means, he's kind of cute. But I'm not looking for a boyfriend right now.

Besides, I've got my dog, Rufus, to give me sloppy kisses and hugs. He wouldn't cheat on me like all the other boys at my school.

While I watched Rachael stalk the living daylights out of this boy's Instagram account, the bus suddenly jolted forwards and began to skid sideways. I grabbed onto the seat in front of me as screams echoed around the school bus, and the bus flipped on its side, crashing into the concrete. I felt heat, along with pain. Lots of pain. My eyes began closing...I couldn't feel my muscles anymore...darkness...Rachael shaking me and shouting my name......more darkness...

silence.