Chapter 15 - Saving Rachael

After the long sprint back to my apartment, I unlocked the door, threw my shoes off, and scrambled into my room, diving under my bed for the plastic bag with my super suit in. There was a mass of dust and cobwebs under my bed that I didn't even know existed. Gross. After I located the plastic bag, I swung it overhead onto my bed and crawled back into the daylight of my room. Panting after running all the way here, I peeled my dirty jeans off my legs, threw my t-shirt to the floor with the rest of my discarded clothes and shoved my super suit on, tapping the AG to fasten it. I quickly tied up the blue Converse and almost belted out of my room before remembering to fix my silky mask to my face. After trapping my cape in my apartment door (typical me), I whizzed down the stairs and entered the street again, which was full of cars and people rushing to get away from the scene of the fight, just a few blocks away. As I began shoving my way through the crowd, I realised I wasn't going to get back to the scene quickly, as throngs of people ran and pushed to get away.

I could only think of one thing to do.

"Stand back!" I yelled, causing civilians and back away from me as I began forcing energy into my feet and launching myself upwards. I was wobbling around very ungracefully, but managed to get the knack of flying, controlling my leg movements to go the way I wanted. Now it was time to join the fight. I flew at frightening speeds back towards where our school bus had been stopped, and sure enough, Chemiwoman and Fairy Fly were still in the air, but luckily I noted the cars beneath them were empty.

Except for the bright yellow school bus. Typical.

As I approached, I saw my fellow student's terrified faces looking up through the windows as Chemiwoman generated more chemical bombs. I flew from behind Fairy Fly's back and Chemiwoman noticed me, grinning under her mask. Let's do this.

I fired torrents of water from my hands at Fairy Fly's back, causing her to plummet to the ground, unaware of the force of my jets. I zoomed over next to Chemiwoman as Fairy Fly looked up from the car she landed on, grimacing.

"Nice to have you here, kid." Chemiwoman exclaimed, tapping a few chemical equations into her chemical pouch and producing a few more circular, hand-held bombs.

"Er...thanks." I replied, feeling awkward around such a legendary hero.

"Try and divert this fool away from the school bus. We'll need to help them escape in a minute." Chemiwoman continued, as Fairy Fly got to her feet and glared up at us.

"Roger that."

Fairy Fly zoomed back into the air and created another ear-shattering boom, which also created an earthquake effect. The students in the school bus cried out as the bus shuddered and rolled from side to side. I held up my hand and blasted water at Fairy Fly, creating a splash as it made contact with her super suit. Almost instantly, she began firing rocks and earth using her own powers, from beneath the concrete of the road. There was a large mud bubble building in the center of our respective powers, and I held my ground (well, air) as Chemiwoman flew around the mud bubble, throwing chemical time-bombs at it.

"Get ready to get behind cover!" She yelled at me, as I fired even more water into the ever-growing bubble.

"Go!" Chemiwoman fired one last bomb at the bubble as it began to expand, and I stopped firing water and threw myself back to the ground, huddling behind a smashed up car as the bomb mixture exploded, causing acidic mud to fly everywhere and begin burning into the metal cars. I heard Fairy Fly cry out in anger and hurt as the mud hit her. I guessed it would depend on the strength of her suit whether it would effect her skin or not.

"This isn't over yet!" Fairy Fly shouted, as Chemiwoman and I rose up from the ground once more, our capes bellowing behind us in the morning wind. Fairy Fly levitated at level with us, and boy, she looked angry. Like, veins-popping-out-of-her-head angry. Yeah.

 "You need to evacuate the bus, I'll hold her back!" Chemiwoman cried, using chemical deflection shields as Fairy Fly began firing at us. I dodged the oncoming rocks and flew down to the school bus, landing by the door. Aidan and the bus driver were at the front, looking at me and pointing to the door frantically. I stepped forward and pulled the door to open it. But it wouldn't budge. Great. Just great. 

"It's not working! It won't open!" Aidan yelled through the glass. I nodded and looked around, trying to figure out how to get my fellow students out of the bus. Then it hit me, there was an emergency door at the bus of the bus. I could break the glass. Frantically, I ran round to the back of the bus, where the idiotic boys were hollering and shouting through the back window. I was surprised they weren't yelling insults at me like they normally do, but then I realised. They didn't have a clue who I was. 

"Get away from the windows!" I screamed, causing the boys to back away. I lunged forward and fired two powerful streams of water at the windows, instantly shattering the glass. I stopped the water and clambered through the window, looking inside.

"We need to get everyone out! One at a time, quickly! Run down 8th Street!" I instructed, ushering the students out of the bus. The stupid boys who sat at the back shoved themselves out first, seemingly unfazed by the super battle happening behind us. The pretty girls wearing too much makeup tried pushing their bags out the window too, but in the end they left them in the bus, tears streaming down their perfect faces. Finally, it was just Aidan, Sadie and Rachael left in the bus, after the old driver, who was shaking with nerves, stumbled through the gap. I looked up at the window from where I was standing, and Sadie came tumbling through. I caught her hand as she fell to the road and she didn't even look at me or wait for Rach before running down 8th Street. Nice girl.

"You first, m'lady." I heard Aidan said from inside the bus. Worried, I glanced up at Chemiwoman and Fairy Fly, and winced as Fairy Fly began gathering a hoard of molten rocks from the vast hole she had made in the ground.

"Get a move on!" I cried, watching as the molten rocks flew at Chemiwoman and she deflected them with a gloopy mixture of chemicals. Just as I saw Rachael's face appear through the broken window, Fairy Fly began shaking the ground with her force, causing me to fall to the cracked concrete, and the school bus infront of me to rattle and shake. I heard Rachael screaming as Aidan leaped out the window with a pale face and belted past me. Well, he was nice.

"Help!" I heard Rachael scream from inside the bus. Without a second thought I flew myself up to the window and climbed inside, to find Rachael huddled underneath a seat as the ceiling of the ancient school bus began falling away, and debris hit the floor. I rushed over to Rachael as something hit my head, causing my vision to go blurry for a second. Recollecting myself, I knelt on the floor and offered my gloved hand to Rachael, who was crying uncontrollably.

"It's gonna be okay! Hold onto me!" I yelled, dragging Rachael to the back of the bus. I ushered her through the window and she clambered through, falling to the street below. I followed her and was about to grab her hand and run when molten lava began flying everywhere.

Oh god.

Looking up, I watched in horror as Fairy Fly, (now stupidly named, she wasn't kind like a fairy, or dainty, for that matter) showered molten lava everywhere, and Chemiwoman began constructing a wall of chemicals to guard herself. Rach and I couldn't run with the possibility of being taken down by a lump of lava.

"Get on my back!" I shouted, leaning down so Rachael could climb on my back, piggy-back style. With all the power I could muster, I launched myself into the sky and soured upwards, away from the fight and the thought of being killed by a small drip of lava.

And that's how I saved my best friend, without her even knowing it was me.