Chapter 12 - Plasma Bomb

Blaze Boy shot upwards, leaving a trail of grey smoke in the sky. I belted towards the force-field, while ElectroNite shot lightning at Blaze Boy in the sky. Once I reached the force-field, I touched it to see how powerful the electricity was. 

Big mistake.

Upon touching the blue, hazy bubble, my body was thrown into the air and I landed with a thump a few meters away. My muscles were practically screaming at me to stop running, stop getting electrocuted, stop shooting water. But I ignored the pain, and slowly got back to my feet, wincing as my legs ached. As I began half-running, half-wimping back to the force-field, a strike of lightning hit a few mere centimeters from my feet, causing me to bounce to the side. I looked up to find Blaze Boy firing large flames at ElectroNite, who was firing electrical strikes of lightning back. There was a mixture of inferno and electrical currents that were building in a large ball between the two. I knew it was gonna blow soon, and hopefully Blaze Boy would have the upper-hand. 

I looked back towards the force-field and assessed what I could do. There were many options, I guess.

1. Run away and forget about all of this (probably not advisable)

2. Touch the force-field again (extremely not advisable)

3. Fire water at the force-field and see what happens (from my science lessons, I knew that electricity and water were not a safe combo)

4. Go to sleep (my most preferable option)

I found myself debating between 3 and 4 when another lightning bolt struck near my feet. Ah, I'll go for 3 and then do 4 later. 

"Stand back!" I yelled, causing the civilians in the force-field to huddle away from me. I planted my feet firmly on the ground and fired my hands towards the force field. The water shot at the electric bubble and a flame of fire burst from it. The force-field banished into thin air and I squirted water at the small fire until it was out. The civilians who were now free began crying in joy, but it wasn't over yet. I heard an almighty boom and looked behind me to find ElectroNite and Blaze Boy's plasma bomb building beyond capacity.

"Aqua Girl, get the civilians away!" Blaze Boy yelled, fighting back the oncoming electricity. I ran towards the civilians, ignoring the searing pain in my left leg.

"Quickly! Ran off the bridge! The plasma's gonna blow!" I screamed, ushering the men, women and children off of the bridge. Mothers clutched their children, families ran hand-in-hand, and as I was watching them run away I heard one word from Blaze Boy behind me.

"DUCK!"

No, not the animal. 

I knew what this meant. 

I threw myself behind a nearby car, squeezed my eyes shut and crouched low as an almighty boom echoed through my eardrums, and I felt a harsh breeze rush through the air, shattering the windows of the car in front of me and pushing my messy hair out of my face. I stayed in my position until I knew it was safe: silence rang clear through my ears and I slowly opened my eyes.

Shreds of glass were scattered around the floor, and a motorbike had been thrown a few meters from it's original spot. I carefully stood up and found ElectroNite laid on the concrete, with Blaze Boy laying near a car. I sprinted over to him and knelt down, looking at his closed eyes and bloody lips. What do I do? I'm knelt on the Golden Gate Bridge with a super-villain (aka my dad) a few meters away, with no police around and a possibly dead superhero. There was no way in hell I was giving Blaze Boy the kiss of life, even though I adored his floppy black hair. Still. I wasn't the lovey dovey type.

"Blaze Boy, wake up." I muttered, placing my hand over the BB on his chest. Phew. His heart was beating normally and his chest was rising steadily. Feeling I had nothing else to do, I did what I would've done in the first place. I stood up and aimed my hand at his slightly pale face. The water splashed over his facial features and he began spluttering. Good one, Cass. I stopped the water and knelt down again. He stopped coughing and looked over at me.

"What was that for?! Where's ElectroNite?!"

"I didn't know what to do!" I replied, holding my hands up in defeat. I turned to look back at ElectroNite, but his body was no longer there. Oh boy. "ElectroNite's gone."

"Really?" Blaze Boy said, looking both shocked and confused. He slowly stood up and looked up to where I pointed. "He can't be...he.."

"Think I had done a runner?!" A loud voice bellowed overhead and we gazed up in unison to find ElectroNite hovering above us, his black cape waving graciously in the wind. "You kids don't even know how to work your powers properly, if you...." As ElectroNite trailed off on a tangent, Blaze Boy leaned over and whispered.

"Water and Fire makes steam. We can make a steam bomb to blow away his electricity temporarily. Just wait for my mark." He murmured, keeping his eyes on ElectroNite. I focused back on my father's ramble.

"Now I'll teach you kids a lesson. Never play with electricity." He yelled, his voice echoing around the empty bridge.

"Well actually, we thought we'd give you a lesson!" I yelled up at him. He looked confused for a moment until I carried on, and Blaze Boy stepped in front of me. "Never mix electricity with steam!" Blaze Boy fired a vast flame of fire into the air, just below ElectroNite, and I blasted water up with his inferno. Steam began to rise from our compound and ElectroNite didn't even have time to react as his electric powers began fizzing. The steam suddenly increased and the electricity blew, creating a loud crash. Blaze Boy and I stood back and watched as a large force-field engulfed ElectroNite as he screamed in pain. 

Sure, I felt a little sad, watching my father in pain, but looking at the terrified and slightly bloody faces of the innocent civilians earlier told me he deserved it.

I held back the water and the steam ceased. ElectroNite's electricity stopped fizzing and he took one last look at Blaze Boy and I before zooming off down the river, at the speed of light. Blaze Boy turned to watch him and prepared to take off when a small but very important bombshell hit me.

"I left my phone at Velma's."

Trust me to be thinking like that.