Chapter 2 - Mystery Hero

My eyes slowly fluttered open and after I woke up, I noticed my whole body was wet. Ew. For some reason I was looking at the sky, but my view of the grey clouds was obstructed by a face leaning over me. Covered in a red mask.

"Are you alright?" It was a superhero, one of the many in our city. But... this hero was new. I didn't recognize the black hair or the red mask, nor the rosy cheeks of this superhero. My brain was going into a frenzy trying to work out who it was, but I realized I hadn't actually replied to his question.

"I don't know. I think so." I stammered, gawking up at the super. Sure, I had been rescued before my superheroes, as I was a clumsy girl, but they always whizzed off, without saying much.

"You were in a bus crash. I got you out safely. Let's get you off the wet pavement." The super said, holding out a red-gloved hand. It only just came to my brain that yes, it was raining heavily, and that's why my clothes were sticking uncomfortably to my skin, and my frizzy hair was clinging to my face. The superhero pulled me up and I stumbled into him. He held me until I was steady and looked down at me with hazel eyes.

"Woah, don't get too carried away." He murmured, smirking. I gawked like an idiot as he took a step back and began running away, past the broken school bus. To my surprise the superhero outstretched his hands downwards and flames of fire burst out of them, launching him up towards the grey clouds and out of my vision. I snapped out of my faze and scolded myself in my head. Stupid Cass. Stop acting all lovey dovey, you've just survived a fricking bus crash!

"Cass!" I turned around to find Rachael rushing over to me and crashing into my body, enveloping me into a hug. "I'm so glad you're alright! Are you hurt?" There was a slight pounding on my palms, which was weird. I decided not to tell Rachael.

"No, I'm fine." I muttered, looking behind Rachael at the scene of the crash. There were crowds of city dwellers taking photos of the over-turned bus, which was a mangled mess of yellow metal. The students that were in the bus with Rach and I were standing, waiting to be picked up. A few parents were already taking their kids away, and luckily I only noticed a few minor injuries, such as scratches and bruises on my fellow students.

"It's a miracle nobody was hurt." Rachael said, following my gaze towards the crowds. "Hey, how did you get out of the bus? I was trying to tug at you but then there was fire so I had to crawl out. You were unconscious." I gulped, and knew it was the mysterious super that had got me out. No one else had seen him.

Or so I thought.

"It's been revealed after an accidental bus crash today that a brand new superhero is on the scene of San Francisco today. More on that story after the weather." I almost choked on my vanilla ice cream, hearing the news reporter mention the bus crash. An image flashed on the TV screen of a blur of red, with a cape and flames bellowing from the bottom of the blurry figure. They knew that he existed. My mystery hero. Next to me, Rufus, my Dalmatian, was snoring loudly on the floor. As I waited impatiently for the weather to finish, I grabbed my phone from the wooden floor beside my beanbag and the screen came to life.

4:12PM from Rach:

Hey r u going to swim practice 2night? I will come if u r. x

I looked up at my ceiling, which was covered in glow-in-the-dark stars, pondering my reply to Rachael. I was obviously going to go to practice, but I wanted time to think about the superhero that saved me, and Ice Woman's latest rescue. On my battered TV screen, the weather was about to conclude, and I frantically typed out a non-suspicious reply.

No I'm not because Rufus is unwell. See ya tomorrow. x

I clicked send and settled in my bean bag once more, clutching the ice cream tub and digging my spoon into the heavenly food. The news flashed up on my TV screen with the headline of 'New Superhero Saves School Bus'. As the news presenter began talking, my mother barged into my bedroom, swinging the door open with such force my Ice Woman plaque shook on the wall. I rushed to grab my TV remote and turn off the screen. I never watched the news. My mother would suspect something.

"Hey, sweet cheeks! Are you feeling alright? You don't have to go to swim practice if you don't feel up to it." My mother said, standing at the doorway. My mother worked as an Interior Designer at a place downtown, and so our apartment is always being redecorated into a new theme or colour scheme. Right now, we're taking on the vibrant theme, with a red sofa, multicolored cushions everywhere and absurd decor. Personally, I love it, but I know it won't stick.

"Yeah Mom, I'll pack my bag in a sec." I replied, watching as Rufus groaned and woke up, stretching his long spotty legs.

"I'll drop you off at 6 but then you might have to skate home since I've got a meeting." Mom replied, flicking her short blonde hair over her shoulder. I frowned.

"A meeting at 9 at night?!" I asked, raising an eyebrow. Mom looked sheepish.

"Yes...it's for.. a new branding. Never you mind." She said, before closing the door again. I hurriedly turned my TV back on yet I had missed the part I wanted. I still didn't know who had saved me. In defeat I turned the TV off and set the now empty ice cream tub on the floor next to Rufus, who then began licking the rim of the tub. Gross. I walked around my beanbag to my bed and began packing my bag for swim practice. As I opened the door to the hallway I also grabbed my heavily-stickered skateboard and my water-proof coat. This was going to be a long evening.