Chapter 14 - Something Similar

I woke on Sunday aching and tired. Stupid, reckless Cass. I yawned and looked over at my alarm clock. 10:30AM. Perfect. Mother had already left for work, so that left the freezer unattended, with tubs of ice cream just waiting for me to consume them. I threw my duvet off my body and trudged out of bed, opening my bedroom door and shuffling into the kitchen. With a spring in my step, I swung open the freezer door and pulled open the ice cream drawer...and found nothing but a bright pink sticky note. Panicking, I picked up the note and read it.

Cass,

I've given our ice cream to our neighbor, Miss Kulo, because I know you will eat all of it as soon as I leave the house, and you aren't allowed any privileges whilst being grounded. So instead, I've prepared a nutritious bowl of fruit and fat free yogurt, which is in the fridge. And don't even try to find any chocolate bars, they have been hidden as well!

Have a great Sunday,

Mom xox

ERGH. Why did my mother have to punish me this much?! I'm sure I would enjoy the ice cream much more than our Japanese neighbor, Miss Kulo. Sighing, I closed the freezer and opened the fridge, to find a bowl of fruit covered in creamy yogurt, just like Mom said. Where was my scatterbrained Mom? Who had replaced her with a control freak? I groaned and picked up the bowl, found a spoon, and plodded back into the comfort of my room, slamming the door behind me.

This was going to be a long day.

"Hi, Rach." I muttered, looking confusedly at the girl sat next to her. It was Monday, and after spending a day in my room watching Star Wars yesterday, I was more than happy to spend a day socializing at school. I walked onto the school bus as normal this morning, and found another girl sat next to Rachael, in our usual seat.

Rachael looked up at me from her phone, which she and the girl were huddled over.

"Oh, hello Cascade. This is Sadie." She said, pointing to the brunette next to her before looking back down at her phone. The brunette glared at me, which I took as a message to leave her alone. Defeated, I shuffled to the seat behind them and plonked myself down, scooting up to the window and gazing out at the sunny city. The bus slowly chugged down 6th street and stopped at another bus stop, letting multiple students clamber aboard. I was about to plug my earphones into my ears and fill my ears with music when someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around to find Aidan stood by the empty seat next to me.

"May I?" He asked, looking down at me with his hazel eyes. I shrugged and he took a seat, dumping his bag on the floor. "Why's Rachael not sat with you? I thought you guys were besties."

"Long story." I muttered, tucking my earphones into my bag.

"Sounds complicated." He replied, flicking his floppy black hair out of his left eye. I snorted and turned back to the window, only to catch a blur of pink as Chemiwoman whizzed past. The school bus chatter was suddenly silenced by a loud bang from a nearby street, and I heard a scream from the back of the bus.

"It's Fairy Fly!" Fairy Fly was an Earth superhero, who used rocks and ground-shuddering techniques to fight. But why was she chasing Chemiwoman, another great superhero, through the air? Aidan leaned over to watch out of the window as Chemiwoman halted above our bus, and yelled something in Fairy Fly's direction. Before you could even say 'Superhero' Fairy Fly started her characteristic 'Shudder Boom', and the ground began shaking, like an earthquake. The school bus was thrown into chaos, with girls crouching in their seats and the loud boys yelling and banging on the windows. The poor old bus driver was unsure of what to do, so grabbed his school Walkie-Talkie and mumbled something about 'shaking' into it.

"We need to get out of here, this is going to get dangerous." Aidan stated, looking up at the two supers.

"Thanks for stating the obvious." I retorted, practically itching for my suit, which was tucked away safety under my bed. Aidan muttered something under his breath before rushing towards the front of the bus and instructing the driver what to do.

"You need to drive down 5th street and head round the outskirts of the city. We can get to school that way." I watched Aidan as he spoke to the confused bus driver. The way his black hair flopped...the hazel hue of his eyes...something similar to Blaze Boy. As my brain processed these thoughts the back window of the school bus cracked because Fairy Fly sent out another ground-shaking shock wave. Glancing out the window, I noticed Chemiwoman conjuring up chemical bombs with her chemical toolkit pouch, and beginning to fire them. Around them, the street was in chaos. Abandoned cars and people running. A police car screeched to a stop, and two officers scrambled out of the car, ushering the general public away from the fight scene.

Unfortunately for us, we were trapped right next to the supers, inside a metal container. Chemiwoman fired another chemical bomb at Fairy Fly but she deflected it with her wrist, and it landed next to my window.

Uh oh.

I dashed up from my seat and ducked to the floor as the bomb exploded, sending acidic gloop onto the bus's windows. I looked up to find the student's in the bus practically screaming with fear.

There was only one thing I thought I could do.

As I threw myself out of the school bus's door, I could've sworn I heard Rachael yell my name.

I had a job to do.

Fight.