Chapter 16 - You Are Superhero?

After leaving a scarred-for-life Rachael with an ambulance, I flew back to my apartment, but instead of strutting through the front door casually, I realised I would have to become more secret about where I lived. As I rounded the corner onto my street, I almost did a double-take. Woah. There was a swarm of media, cameramen, journalists and news reporters crowding around the street, and they all looked up as I flew towards them. Cameras began flashing and people began yelling, so I felt I needed to land. I slowly maneuvered myself to the ground and the media rushed around me, circling me, and questions were shouted from all directions.

"Who are you? A new super?"

"What's your opinion on all of these crazy battles?"

"What is happening to the supers?!"

"Should we be afraid of you?"

I took a deep breath and told myself to act natural, make up a super cool origin story or something.

"I..I'm Aqua Girl and I like swimming." I stammered, instantly hating myself after the words left my mouth. Stupid move, Cass. A journalist stepped forward out of the crowd, with a cameraman following her.

"What is happening to all of these great supers? Why are they attacking the general public?" She asked, shoving a microphone in my face. I could feel my face heating up under all of this sudden attention, and realised I had a mask to cover the majority of my embarrassment.

"I don't know what's happening right now, but I'm going to figure it out." I said, causing another onslaught of questions. The journalist infront of me nodded and asked one final question.

"Who are your main allies?" I pondered for a moment before answering.

"Blaze Boy. That's all for now." I exclaimed, before launching myself into the sky. As I circled my neighborhood from the height of the skyscrapers, I tried to figure out a plan to get back into my apartment without San Fran's media spotting me. I liked to think logically about my plans, so in my head, as I zoomed over 10th street, I divides a list of options.

1. Just walk straight into my apartment and let the whole city know that Cascade Elizabeth Brown was Aqua Girl (not advisable, I don't want extra attention at school)

2. Climb through my bedroom window (not advisable, it was locked and therefore impossible)

3. Walk into a shop, buy some clothes, get changed, then go home (the best option, seeing as nothing else would work out)

4. Strip off my super suit and walk into my apartment with just my bra and knickers on (extremely non-advisable, would be humiliated forever, media may even spot me)

In the end I decided on option 3, but the problem was I had no money. I decided to test my luck and landed on 11th Street, which was busy with tourists and shoppers. I landed on the pavement and began walking with the crowd, and in the space of about 10 seconds, I was bombarded by a group of Japanese tourists, all wearing cutesy clothes and large cameras hanging around their necks. Some of them began focusing their cameras on me and snapping away, not even caring that my hair probably looked like a bush.

They all began speaking quickly in Japanese, and I stood there, dumb-founded, until one of the girls found an English book in their bag and rummaged through it, trying to find phrases. The group quietened as the girl with the book tried to speak.

"Hello...you..are....superhero?" She asked in broken English. I nodded, and the group began bubbling again. The girl excitedly flicked through the book again. "We...admire..you......please....take...moneys!" She put the book away as the rest of the group shoved ten dollar bills in my face. Bingo.

Walking around the shops, I tried to keep a low profile, but still ended up accepting selfie requests and taking signatures. I'm pretty sure most of the people approaching me didn't even know who I was, but they knew I was a super. 

I felt like some sort of A-Lister or something. 

Cool

After spending a few minutes in Hot Topic, picking out the latest Twenty One Pilots t-shirt and a plain pair of jeans, I shuffled into their changing rooms and changed out of my suit, thankful to get the latex material free from my itching skin. I whipped off my mask and looked down at my aching legs, which were covered in bruises and odd-looking bumps. Maybe I should ask Mom for some cream or something, but I would have to work out a pretty valid excuse for these bad boys. I quickly changed into my new outfit and realised I would have to stay in my blue Converse. They looked normal anyway. Receiving a strange look from the cashier as I requested to pay for the clothes I was wearing, I quickly shoved the money on the till and walked as quickly as my legs would carry out of the shop.

I couldn't wait to get home and dive into a tub of ice cream.

Oh, wait...