Chapter 37 - Expecting Us

I landed with a plonk in the dark woods, and soon Blaze Boy was stood next to me.

"That went surprisingly well. You did great." He exclaimed, looking at me. Ignoring his flirtatious behaviour, I began walking in the direction of ElectroNite's headquarters.

"Thanks, but we need to get a move on, come on!" I replied, breaking out into a sprint. Blaze Boy was alongside me as I ran, and eventually, the headquarter's high fences were in view, along with the almost-blinding flashlights. A searchlight began scanning the forest to my left, and as it quickly approached me, I stood out in the open, dumb-founded, until a strong hand yanked me backwards, and my back hit a tree trunk. Blaze Boy's face was mere centimeters from mine. I could feel his warm breath on my facial features. His eyes were gazing into mine, until he snapped back into action.

"Stay quiet. I hear something." He whispered, slowly looking around the side of the tree. The searchlight flashed past our tree, and my breath was slowly returning to it's normal speed. Blaze Boy turned back to me, his eyes wide and alert.

"When I say so, run forward to the next tree, ok?" I nodded in acknowledgement. After a few seconds of waiting, Blaze Boy gave the signal, and we dashed to the next tree. As our backed smacked into the tree bark, I heard footsteps nearby. I put a finger to my lips to show Blaze Boy to be quiet, and looked around the side of the tree. Sure enough, there was a bulky guard, dressed in grey and armed with a gun, approaching our tree. I turned back to Blaze Boy and dragged him round my side of the tree, showing the guard to him. Blaze Boy leaned over and whispered in my ear.

"Time to show 'em who's boss." He murmured, before winking at me and running towards the guard. Upon seeing us approaching, the guard opened fire, but the rounds didn't do anything, and they halted immediately. All we had to do was fire a few flames and water jets at him, and he was out for the count. Smiling, I leaned down and ripped the large gun from his pale hands.

"Well that was easy." I remarked, holding the heavy gun in my hands and examining it. 

"If only all guards were mortals like this fella. Unfortunately, ElectroNite uses other villains as guards most of the time. We're gonna have to be careful." Blaze Boy said, walking over to me and taking the gun.

"Hey! I wanna hold it!" I cried, snatching the gun from him. Blaze Boy smirked at me before gazing over at the headquarter's fence.

"The search light is now on the other side of the forest, let's use the same tactic we did the other day. Get in right under that guard post." Blaze Boy instructed, pointing up at the brightly-lit guard's post. I nodded. It was pretty easy to get in right under the guard's post, because he was probably playing a game on his phone and not looking around for any signs of movement, like he was meant to. 

Maybe I should write a letter of complaint to ElectroNite.

Ah well.

"Quick, now!" I murmured, before running up to the tall metal fence. Blaze Boy soon joined me, and we knelt down to the hole in the fence we had made before. ElectroNite obviously didn't have very good groundskeepers either.

"After you, m'lady." Blaze Boy exclaimed, kneeling down and pulling back the fence for me.

"Shut up. Stop calling me that." I muttered, as I climbed through the hole. Once I was inside the perimeter I dashed up to the base of the guard's tower and knelt down, as Blaze Boy struggled through the fence hole by himself. Serves him right for trying to flirt with me. Idiot.

Eventually, he made it through and belted over to me.

"Thanks for leaving me by myself." He muttered, panting hard from the adrenaline.

"You deserved it, sweetheart." I retorted in reply, before going onto my hands and knees and crawling around the circular base of the tower. I heard grunts and shuffles as Blaze Boy followed me, until we were around the side of the tower that was facing the huge main headquarters building. Luckily we were sat in the shadows, and there were a few guards sauntering around, so they weren't able to see us. At this moment in time though, I almost felt like shoving Blaze Boy into the flashlight's glare and so he would go away. But I didn't. I stopped myself from doing so.

"Follow me." I hissed, glancing over at Blaze Boy as he crouched behind me. My eyes darted over to the few guards, who had just struck up a conversation in a foreign language, before I shot up and ran as fast as my body would take me towards the walls of the headquarters. After a few seconds of running, I reached the wall and slammed my back to the concrete. Blaze Boy arrived next to me, breathing heavily. 

"Now...we...need...to get into the fire exit.." Blaze Boy said breathlessly. I nodded and looked over at the guards, who were still chatting. With a quick blast of my hands, the two chatty guards were on the floor, unconscious. 

"You didn't have to knock them out." Blaze Boy muttered, looking over at their limp bodies.

"Well, they were putting me on edge." I replied, before hurrying along the wall to the fire exit door that we had come through before. Finally I reached it, and to my shock, it was wide open. Blaze Boy caught up with me and peered in.

"It's almost like they're expecting us." He exclaimed, looking over at me. 

"Yeah." It was creepy. The door was left open, which was highly unusual, I thought. This base was pretty well secured, and they wouldn't just leave a door open, would they?

"Something's not right here." Blaze Boy said, looking into the dimly-lit building again.

"Should we just go in? What's the worst that could happen?"

"We'd get killed." Blaze Boy exclaimed, gazing at me.

"Well, I think that's what's gonna happen, kids." A gruff voice said from behind us. We spun around to find a dozen guards, all aiming their large guns at us. I then looked up to a find two guards with armed guards..on jet-packs. Shoot. We were surrounded, literally.

Uh oh.

This wasn't good.

A/N: hello everyone! Ooh, how are Blaze Boy and Aqua Girl gonna get out of this one, huh? Apologies, but I am going to London (I live nearby) for a few days, so there won't be another update until near the end of the week, sorry! Have a great day, and thanks for reading! :)