Chapter 38 - Thanks Buddy

I didn't know what to do. I stood still, like a statue, looking at the stern guards with their large guns. All of a sudden, Blaze Boy cleared his throat. I dared to look over at him.

"How about you just let us go on our way, with no trouble, yeah?" Blaze Boy reasoned, looking apprehensive. The lead guard, that had just spoken to us, chuckled.

"You think it's going to be that easy, boy?" He scoffed, still aiming his gun at Blaze Boy's chest.

"It certainly could be, if you weren't so stupid." Blaze Boy replied, smirking. The guard's face turned dark and gloomy.

"All I've gotta do is pull the trigger, boy." The guard spat, glaring at Blaze Boy. Now we were in for it. This idiot. Remind me why I went out on a late night adventure with him?

"You're too much of a coward for that." Blaze Boy replied. The guard grinned.

"Stop it, Blaze Boy." I whispered, watching wearily as the verbal duel continued.

"Too much of a coward, heh?" The guard mused, as his finger fiddled with the trigger. Uh oh. This wasn't good at all.

"Coward. Yep, that's what you are." Blaze Boy said. The guard sighed before holding his gun to his eye and pushing down on the trigger. No. No. No. I squeezed my eyes shot as the gun cracked, but as they were closed, I heard multiple bodies falling to the floor. I opened my eyes to find Blaze Boy still standing next to me, with the guards surrounding us all on the floor, unconscious.

"What the...." I muttered, looking around in shock. Suddenly, a boy of about of about our age appeared next to me. I screamed.

"Woah! Calm down!" The boy said, holding his guns up. Blaze Boy started laughing behind me.

"Quicksilver! Thanks buddy, I'm glad you're here!" Blaze Boy bellowed, walking over to the boy and giving him a hug. Oh, another superhero saving our butts. Quicksilver broke their embrace and gazed at me.

"I don't believe we've ever met? I'm sure I would've remembered a pretty girl like you." The boy exclaimed, holding out his silver gloved hand.

"I...I'm Aqua Girl." I stammered, taking his hand and shaking it.

"Nice to meet ya, I'm Quicksilver." I was still confused. What had happened back there?

"Quicksilver here has an extreme metabolism and speed power. Basically, he can run so fast you can't even see him. He runs at the speed of light." Blaze Boy explained, breaking me out of my confusion.

"You betcha, Blazey." Quicksilver mused, shoving his hand into his elaborate silver jacket. I only then realized Quicksilver had a weird sense of fashion. Seriously. He was donning a pair of steampunk goggles over his eyes, his blonde hair was tangled and messy, he was wearing a t-shirt with the letters QS on it in purple, and his trousers were silver, along with his jacket. The only normal part of him was the purple Nike trainers on his feet. Right on.

The sound of footsteps brought me back to reality. The three of us glanced over to find a guard advnacing towards us, dressed in black, wearing a dark blue baseball cap, and holding a gun. In the blink of an eye (literally), the guard was on the floor, and Quicksilver was now wearing the baseball cap.

"Anyway..er...we need to get inside." I declared, pointing over to the fire exit door, which was still open and surrounded by the bodies of the guards.

"What are you guys here for?" Quicksilver asked, as I ran my hand through my knotty hair.

"It's a long story." Blaze Boy said, glancing over at me.

"I've got all night."

So, after the lengthy tales of fighting ElectroNite, discovering the serum, GoGo, and the other recent events leading up to this, Quicksilver was filled in on what our mission was for the night. He also now knew my real name, after Blaze Boy accidentally blurted it out.

"Cascade? Cool name." Quicksilver drawled, leaning against the metal fence as Blaze Boy was running through the events.

Anyway.

We devised a plan of action, and Quicksilver ran through it.

"Blazey and Cascade..oops..sorry...it's such a cool name!" I glared at him, and he carried on talking "Blazey and Aqua Girl, will wait by the fire exit until I've secured the corridor inside. It'll take two seconds, literally! Then, once the coast is clear, you guys can go ahead into the lift, and I'll make sure the cameras are turned off before joining you. Then you two take us down to the level of the serum or whatever it is and I'll secure the area before we all go ahead and get the serum. Then, you two can fly outta here, and I'll run off to ma house, gotcha?"

"Cool stuff. Let's get moving." Blaze Boy instructed, as we scampered back across to the fire exit. Blaze Boy and I leaned back against the grey exterior walls as Quicksilver dashed inside. In a few seconds, he was back out.

"There was only one guard, he's been taken care of. Come on in!" Quicksilver exclaimed, ushering us into the dim corridor. As a pack, we zoomed down the corridor and relocated the lift again, before stepping inside.

"Ooh, I'll take out the cameras!" Quicksilver declared, but before he could move, I fired two jets of water at the two cameras, just as the lift door closed.

"There's no need." I smirked, looking at Quicksilver as the lift descended.

"That was awesome."

"Flattery will get you nowhere." I retorted, as the lift opened onto the floor of the serum, where the large room was that Blaze Boy and I escaped from in that previous event. Quicksilver took one last glance at me before racing off to secure the area.

"He likes you." Blaze Boy said, as we stepped out of the lift and waited for him to return.

"Oh really? I hadn't noticed." I retorted, glaring at Blaze Boy. He simply chuckled in reply. Quicksilver appeared next to me, out of breath.

"All clear." He exclaimed, giving us the thumbs-up. I rolled my eyes before beginning to sprint through the building, towards the secret corridor where I first found the blue serum. Soon, we had arrived at the patch of rock that could be pushed in. Sure enough, when I leaned forwards on the ragged rock, it opened, revealing the other corridor.

"It's in here." I told Quicksilver, as we approached the door of the laboratory. I pressed my ear to the door and listened. Silence. Perfect.

"I'll go first." Blaze Boy said, before pushing open the heavy door and revealing the brightly-lit room. Everything was the same as last time, but this time, there was no box of serum on the bench in the center of the room.

"I-It's not here!" I cried, rushing into the room and looking around the bench.

"It's got to be in here somewhere." Blaze Boy said, walking in and beginning to open the drawers around the side of the room. Quicksilver joined us, and in a few seconds every drawer and box in the room was open.

"It's blue, right? I can't see anything blue in here, apart from you, Aqua Girl." Quicksilver exclaimed, looking at me. I glared at him as Blaze Boy approached me.

"Move your feet." Blaze Boy instructed, pointing to my blue Converse. I was about to protest but when I looked down, I realised I was standing on a trap door. I moved aside as the two boys heaved the metal door open, and it revealed a ladder leading into darkness.

"Now we're talkin'."