Chapter 29 - I Don't Know Why

"What do you want?" I grumbled, glaring at Aidan as he plonked his bag on the floor next to mine.

"It's nice to see you too!" Aidan replied, snorting at me. I kicked his shin and turned back to the window, turning up the volume of my music. Aidan was getting on my nerves. And now he was coming round my house tomorrow. Ugh.

After a tedious bus journey of staring at the back of Rach's head and ignoring Aidan's witty remarks, I felt like I was going insane. Put me in an asylum. The bus jolted to a halt outside school, and I had to wait for Aidan to collect his bag before jumping off the bus. Fresh air hit me, and I felt relieved after being cooped up in that stuffy bus. The traffic was terrible this morning. As I joined the rest of the crowds marching into school, I found myself walking alongside Rachael down the hallway. I was about to make polite conversation when the bombshell hit me. I had gym first.

Shoot me.

Reluctantly, I diverted away from Rachael and found my locker, 98. I twisted the combination lock and it sprung open, revealing my fancy locker, which I was proud of, to be honest. On the door, there was a magnetic blue whiteboard, fitted with pouches which I kept spare pens in. I mean, you can never have enough pens. I also had a photo of Rach and I from 6th grade. It made me sad, looking at that photo. 

We looked so happy. Two pig-tailed girls grinning at the camera, with multi-colored braces and Hannah Montana t-shirts. The good ol' days.

The school's bell rang, throwing me back into reality. I grabbed my gym kit from behind the piles of books in my locker, slammed the door shut and began sprinting down the now-empty corridor. I was late. I was late. I was late.

I rounded the corridor and swung open the girl's locker room door, to find my gym teacher taking the register.

"Adams!"

"Yes, coach!" 

I shuffled into the locker room, finding a spare space next to a few girls from band.

"Brown!" The teacher yelled, not even looking up from her clipboard.

"Yes, coach!" I replied, opening the empty locker infront of me and dumping my school bag in it. I pulled my shoes off and threw them in as well, as the coach continued with the register. Finally, she finished, and the locker room erupted into laughter and conversation.

"Hey, Cascade. You were almost late!" One of the band girls exclaimed, whilst untying her shoe laces.

"Yeah, I know." I murmured in reply, shuffling out of my jeans and pulling the ugly school gym shorts out of my gym bag. Seriously. They were gross. Our school colors were green and purple, so the shorts were green. Who the heck chose those colors? I wouldn't put it past our school principal, Mr Jutland, to be the one thinking of those colors. He was probably as old as this school anyway.

After I had changed into the gross gym kit, and tied up the laces of my shiny, new Nike trainers, I jogged outside with the rest of my gym class to the track, whilst untangling my earphone wires.

"Everyone, take a seat!" The coach bellowed, ushering us to take a seat on the empty bleachers. I sat down with the rest of my class and waited for a few late stragglers to turn up.

"Today I want you to be focusing on your own personal goals! Whether it's laps on the track or lifting weights in the gym! Now get moving!" The coach cried, sending the troop of girls in different directions. There was no way I was choosing to lift weights, so I plugged in my earphones, began blaring Twenty One Pilots at full volume, and took my place on the track, starting off with a light jog to warm up. Our school's track was surrounded by bleachers, and the football field was in the center. Around the back of the track, you could see the school's outside swimming pool, which was glimmering in the sunlight. My body was yearning to go and dive in from the diving board, but I knew I would get a bad telling off if I even dared to leave the track. As I turned back round the home straight, the coach was yelling at us to keep our knees high, and I ignored her, overtaking a few slow girls and speeding up a little.

After a few laps, I let my thoughts take over. I had a lot going on right now. ElectroNite's serum. Blaze Boy. Brian. Rachael. Supers attacking.

Why did ElectroNite, in all his terrible glory, want to avert superheroes to attack civilians? Was he trying to make a point? If so, I wasn't catching on.

My thoughts simmered inside my brain, and I let Tyler Joseph's lyrics take over.

"I don't know why...I just feel I'm better off, staying in the same room, I was born in."

Dude. Relatable.

What if I hadn't done anything about my powers? What if Blaze Boy hadn't saved me that fateful day, on the bus?

What if...

I was just a normal girl, who likes to swim, who never had any superpowers in the first place.

I would never be in any of this.

Rachael would still be talking to me.

I wouldn't be risking my life every single day.

I wouldn't know Blaze Boy.

Life would be a walk in the goddamn park.

(A/N: Hello! I'm just forewarning you that on Wednesday I'm going on holiday for 10 days, so there will be no more chapters until after 10 days! Sorry guys, but I think it's also great to have a break off from frantically writing every day! But there's still loads of chapters to come, so stay tuned!)