Chapter 32 - That's My Life

After a few minutes of waiting around, which was occupied by glancing awkwardly at the gawking high-school students who were obviously gobsmacked by me, the SFPD swooped into the room, entering from all doors. GoGo cried out as they picked her up from the floor, and latched some metal cuffs onto her dainty wrists.

"What have I done?!" GoGo yelled, squirming at the police calmly led her away. That was weird. One moment, GoGo wanted to kill me, and looked like she was extremely angry, but the next moment she was her usual, helpless self. The serum had worn off. Whilst I was swimming in my thoughts, a female police officer approached me and cleared her throat. I snapped out of my stance and paid attention.

"Do you mind me asking your name? We keep a log of superheroes in San Francisco, and it appears you're new." The officer declared, whipping out a notepad and pen from her belt pockets. 

"Er, yeah...I'm Aqua Girl." I replied, stopping myself from saying my actual name. The officer began scribbling on the paper.

"And your powers, ma'am?"

"Water-based."

The officer finished writing and tucked the notebook back into her belt, looking satisfied.

"Thank you for doing your service to the city today. Now, you seem pretty young, and I gather you come from this school?" The officer continued, ushering to the hideous gym kit I was wearing, which was brandishing the school logo.

"Maybe. But maybe I was resourceful and found a spare gym kit from this school." I stuttered, trying to sound both convincing and mysterious, like the superheroes you see in films.

Alas, no.

"That's lovely, ma'am, but I wasn't born yesterday. You are dismissed from the rest of school today, along with your fellow students. I imagine the city council will be funding a new cafeteria shortly. Anyway, good day, ma'am." The officer stated, before striding away to go and talk with her colleagues.

I must admit, I felt a little bit stupid trying to sound mysterious and secretive, and then failing immensely. 

Hey, that's my life.

Deciding it was probably time to get the heck outta there, I took one last glance around the demolished cafeteria before sprinting through one of the glass doors and barging my way back to the locker room. Luckily, the corridors were slowly emptying as students were dismissed for the rest of the afternoon. I thanked the lord as I entered the locker room, as it was empty, and nobody was there to harass me.

I quickly unlocked the locker, and was about to get changed when I realised it was probably better to fly home than sit in a crowded and rowdy bus for half an hour. I kept my stupid outfit on, swung my backpack over my shoulders and ran back towards the cafeteria. There was a hole in the roof. An easy escape.

The police officers glanced over at me as I re-entered the scene of the fight.

"See ya later, alligators!" I shouted, before accelerating water from my feet and shooting out of my school.

Now that was a cool exit.

Or so I thought.

As I raced up through the 2nd storey of my school, a loose piece of wood smacked me in the face, causing my to cry out in pain. My hand shot up to the right side of my face where the wood hit, as I raced out of the roof of my school, hitting the open air. I retrieved my hand from my face, and it was covered in blood.

"Fantastic." I muttered to myself, before looking over towards the center of the city and zooming off towards my house.

After I awkwardly hovered by the back bathroom window, reaching my hand in the tiny gap to unlock it, I managed to fling myself into my apartment, instantly thankful I was home. There were no crazy superhero-killing people here, I knew that for certain. I shut the bathroom window behind me, glad that it was covered by other apartments and out of the direct view from the busy street. I didn't need the neighborhood knowing that Cascade Brown was in fact, Aqua Girl. Not today, anyway.

Knowing Mom was still at work until 5, I padded through the apartment into my room, dumping my bag and changing out of my retched spur-of-the-moment outfit. I wouldn't be wearing that again anytime soon. Rufus shot into my room like a frantic puppy and began jumping at my legs. It's nice to have someone who can't wait for you to come home.

"Hey boy." I muttered, as I quickly changed into a NASA t-shirt and leggings. I quickly stroked my loving dog before striding into the kitchen and opening the freezer.

Darn it.

The empty freezer (except for a bag of frozen peas) signified to me that my mother had not forgotten about my current grounding, nor had she finally come to see the light and be kind by giving me ice cream.

I was a growing, teenage girl! That means I deserve ice cream to help me grow, not weird-tasting vegan cereal bars!

As I slammed the freezer door, I also remembered the cut on my face, which hadn't been properly examined by my expert eye. I lightly touched it and also came into contact with Blaze Boy's spare mask. I carefully took the mask off of my face and placed it on the dining table, before walking back into the bathroom and approaching the mirror. Rufus followed at my heels, obviously wanting attention that I couldn't give right now. As I looked into the mirror I almost did a double-take.

Eek.

Let's just say I looked like I had been dragged through a hedge, and then attacked by a million ninja warriors, before finally being lightly dusted with dust.

I'll let you imagine the rest.

It was a nice look. Not.

The cut on my face wasn't as big as I expected, but it was still caked in blood and dirt. The dried blood had trickled down my face, stopping at my cheekbone. The cut was located just below my right eye.

The worst part about it was I had a very low pain threshold. Even stubbing my toe resulted in a few tears. I was a wuss, okay?

Deciding to wipe away the blood before doing anything else, I rummaged through the bathroom cupboards to find an old flannel, that didn't look too dirty or gross. I ran the flannel under the cold tap before gazing into the mirror and dabbing at the cut. It began stinging like hell.

"Ouch!" I murmured, wincing as the water came into contact with the wound. By my feet, Rufus yawned. I didn't want to be doing this. I was causing pain to myself and I hated it. I could never be a surgeon or doctor.

Man up, Cass.

C'mon, you've fought super-villains before. Wiping your face with a damp flannel is hardly battling your father on the Golden Gate Bridge.

Taking a deep breath, I gently held the flannel to my face again, causing face to sear through the right side of my face again.

That's when I heard a cough from the living room.

Not my Mom's cough.

It was a man's cough.

Uh oh.

A/N: Hello! I'm back! I had a great holiday, but now it's back to writing, lounging around at home and doing summer homework tasks. Yay... Anyway, thanks for being patient with me, and I'll be posting like normal from now on, at a few chapters per week, maybe more if you're lucky!