Chapter Thirteen

Collin drives us to a lake twenty minutes away from campus. I'm hesitant to get out and a little scared since it's dark outside but Collin takes my hand and pulls me out with a smile.

"Don't worry. I've been here plenty of times at night by myself. Everything is going to be okay." he reassures me. And for some reason, I believe him. I feel comfortable enough to know that he's being honest and if anything happens, he will do his best to protect us. At least I hope so.

I mentally tell myself to stop being a little bitch and act like a grown woman. I hold Collin's hand as we walk from the car to a trail that leads into the woods. I look around the area and wonder about the sanity of him since he just said he comes here by himself at night. This place is totally creepy. There's no light posts anywhere and tall trees stand on both sides us of throughout the trail. It's the perfect place to take someone at night to kill them and I start to wonder about his motives. I have nothing on me to protect myself other than my arms and legs and they're not even that strong.

I've watched too many crime shows. I'm so ridiculous sometimes.

The walk through the trail only lasts for a few minutes before we make it to the lake and I gasp. The moon is casting the perfect amount of light onto the water, reflecting itself in it and the waves gently crash onto the shore. The light from the moon lights up the lake, revealing the trees around it in the distant and i'm awestruck at how beautiful it is at night. It's quiet, calming, and peaceful. 

"Now I see why you come out here." I tell him, marveling in the beauty of the scene before me.

Collin chuckles. "This is my favorite place to come when i'm stressed out or need to clear my head."

We both stand in silence as we look at the lake. I hear Collin move beside me and he sits down on his bottom on the ground, resting his arms on his bent knees. I do the same and sit beside him, watching the small waves crash below our feet.

"Why did you bring me here?" I ask, turning my head to look at him. He shrugs.

"Just wanted to get away for a little bit. Sometimes it's nice to have a change of scenery on a Friday night."

"It sounds like you party a lot."

He snorts and gives me a ridiculous smile. "I'm in a fraternity." he says with just as much ridiculousness.

"Oh yeah, right."

There's more silence between us before Collin speaks again.

"You know, I really had a good time on Tuesday." he says, looking at me with a smile. I look at him and smile back. It makes me feel good to know the first boy who went out with me had a good time, I just wonder why i'm not all excited and giddy about him right now saying that. "I'd like to do it again sometime."

I have to force the smile to stay on my face and I nod my head at him. "Yeah, me too."

"Wanna go out tomorrow? Dinner and a movie or something?"

I nod my head again and try to keep up the happy act. "That sounds great."

And for some reason, my stomach sinks at the thought of another date with Collin.