Chapter Twenty-Four

My mother loves her parties. Well, she either loves her parties or having as many friends as she does... one of them.

When we get back home from the mall, she instantly switches into panic mode about the house. She freaks out about it not being clean enough, when the caterers will be there, how the decorations don't look good enough, and anything else there is to complain about. I feel bad for the people she hired.

I start to get ready at six. After another shower, I dry my hair and curl it into loose waves. I pull out the red dress my mother bought for tonight and slide it on, it's a little tight. The dress fits to my body, not leaving anything to the imagination, and I feel like a suction cup in it. Other than not being able to breathe, the dress gives me a sense of confidence just like the bra I bought did and I take a picture of myself standing in front of the full body mirror in my room before sending it to Dean. We haven't really talked all day because of how busy we've been but i'm in the mood to tease him.

I hear people starting to arrive from the sound of the doorbell and my mother's loud voice as she greets her friends. I know it's time for me to go down so I lip on my black strappy heels and head down the stairs.

When my foot lands on the first step and I look up to see who's here, I freeze. My stomach drops and my mouth feels dry. My eyes have grown wide and my body feels hot. This can't be true. This can't be true...

Standing at the bottom of the stairs, in the opening of the doorway, is Dean, looking at me with dark, appreciative eyes. I force myself to walk down the stairs and I watch his eyes as they rake up my body from head to toe. It's not until I reach the bottom of the stairs when I notice my mother standing there. 

Shit, my mother!

"Claire, you didn't tell me you invited a friend from school." She says.

"Um..." I don't know what to say, i'm still in shock that he's really here. I can tell by the way he's looking at me that he's had this planned, he just seems so calm and cool. "Yeah, I did." I ramble out, lying. My mother smiles and opens the door wide for him to step in.

"Well it looks like Claire has forgotten her manners, do come in..." 

"Dean. Dean Underwood." He says for her, holding out his hand. What is going on?!

"It's nice to meet you, Dean. Please make yourself at home. There's food being served all throughout the house and the beach is outback."

"Thank you." Dean says as her looks at me and smiles. I try to smile but my mind is still reeling, wondering how he even knew where I lived. Come to think of it, how does he know where I live?

I escort us out to the backyard that's already filled with other guests. Mostly my parents' age.

"I will admit," Dean says, grabbing two glasses of champagne off a serving platter from one of the servers. He hands one to me and we clink glasses. "I'd much rather venture off somewhere more private." He says with a wink. I take a big gulp of champagne. I'm going to need something stronger than this.

"How did you know where I lived?" I ask, raising my eyebrows. He gives me a look I can't read and takes a sip of his own. "I have my ways. Let's just say student records aren't that hard to get a hold of at Stanford University." 

I know I should be creeped out but the way he answers me and says this so cooly is hot. It almost turns me on...

Dean is staring back at me with this seductive look as he tips his head back, drinking the rest of his champagne while keeping his dark eyes on me. I stare back at him, completely drowning in my own thoughts of this man. He is actually here, at my house. My college professor, who's kissed me and touched me, is at my house... with my parents.