Chapter 20

"What was all that about?" Hermione asked me as I sat down. "You're not in trouble, are you?" Neville questioned. "I'm everything BUT in trouble." I sighted dreamily. "Why were you talking to the headmistress of that French school?" George wondered, looking at me. "Well...thanks to Hagrid I can take care of the Abraxans." I exclaimed, smiling. "No way!" Dean breathed out, looking at me. "Congratulations." Harry said with a small laugh.

"Aren't winged horses aggressive?" Seamus asked, slightly concerned. "What? No! Who told you that nonsense?" I questioned. "I read it somewhere in the Daily Prophet." he answered, poking his food around. "The Prophet is rubbish." Fred stated, looking at Seamus. "Yep. They say that the Death Eater attack was the Ministry's fault." Ron added. "Probably Skeeter's writing." I mumbled, grabbing a chicken wing.

In the meantime, some people upfront were putting down a huge casket. "What's that?" Ginny wondered. "It must be the Goblet of Fire." Hermione mumbled as Dumbledore stepped forward. "Your attention, please!" he shouted, silencing the Great Hall. "I'd like to say a few words." Dumbledore looked at the casket and placed his hand on it. "Eternal glory. That is what awaits the student who wins the Triwizard Tournament. But to do this, that student must survive three tasks. Three extremely dangerous tasks." "Wicked." Fred and George muttered. "For this reason, the Ministry has seen fit to impose a new rule. To explain all this, we have the head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation, mister Bartemius Crouch." Dumbledore finished.

Suddenly, lighting began to strike from the ceiling, making us all duck down. Some people screamed, causing chaos. A bright string of light fired itself into the ceiling, making the thunderstorm quiet down. Everyone searched for the source of the string of light. "Bloody Hell, it's Mad-Eye Moody." Ron mumbled. "Alastor Moody, the Auror?" Hermione questioned, looking at Ron. "Auror?" Dean asked confused. "Dark wizard catcher. Half the cells in Azkaban are filled thanks to him." Ron explained. "They say he's as mad as a hatter these days. So why is he here?" I wondered, looking at the limping man.

He greeted Dumbledore like an old friend, before disappearing into a dark corner. He grabbed a flask and took a swig from it. "What's that he's drinking, do you suppose?" Seamus asked us. "I don't know, but I don't think it's pumpkin juice." Harry answered.

Our attention was drawn to Crouch as he stood in front of the casket. "After due consideration, the Ministry has concluded, that for their own safety no student under the age of seventeen shall be allowed..." "No way!" I shouted angrily, making the other students let out their complaints as well. "...to put forth their name for the Triwizard Tournament. This decision is final!" Crouch concluded. "That's rubbish! That's rubbish! You don't know what you're doing!" my older brothers shouted over the commotion. "Silence!" Dumbledore screamed, making everyone shut their mouths. "They're not too happy about that, then." Hermione whispered to Ginny and I.

Dumbledore pointed his wand at the casket, which began to melt away slowly. It revealed a gigantic wooden goblet, in which a blue fire burned. "The Goblet of Fire. Anyone wishing to submit themselves to the tournament, need only write their name on a piece of parchment and throw it in the flame before this hour on Thursday night." Dumbledore announced. "Do not do so lightly. If chosen, there's no turning back. As from this moment, the Triwizard Tournament has begun..." I stared into the flames, mesmerized by the blue light it spread through the entire hall. "And now, off to bed. Tomorrow you will start your classes like usual. Goodnight." Dumbledore exclaimed, clapping his hands as several kids groaned.

-DEFENCE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS CLASS-

The Slytherins and Gryffindors entered the classroom, excited about the new teacher. Several students had told us Moody's classes were the best and that there wasn't a dull moment. Even Lee Jordan had managed to stay awake through it all. I sat down next to Seamus, curious about this mad man's way of teaching. Moody entered the classroom as well and walked to the front. He grabbed a piece of chalk and began his talk. "Alastor Moody." He wrote his name on the board. "Ex-Auror....Ministry malcontent...and your new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me. End of story, goodbye, the end! Any questions?" he harshly asked. The class was completely silent and one could hear the water dripping in the bathroom down the hall.