Chapter 44

A few days later it was time for me to go home too. I picked up my shoulder bag and Simba's cage, glancing behind me one last time. "Come on, Rowen! We'll miss the train." Lavender yelled from the hallway. "Coming..." I answered. And with that, I walked out.

Lavender closed the door behind me. The two of us trotted down the stairs, the other girls already downstairs. Ginny took Simba from me, smiling gently. "Thanks, Gins." I mumbled, adjusting my shoulder bag. Hermione placed her arm around my shoulder, squeezing it carefully. "It's gonna be okay, Rowen." she whispered. "I know, I know..." I muttered. She nodded, guiding me out of the common room.

The halls were buzzing with students exchanging addresses or 'phone numbers' as Hermione called them. The Patil twins and Lavender formed a protective circle around me, keeping nosy kids out.

"Is that Rowena Weasley?"

"I heard she kissed Diggory."

"She's the one that told Roger to piss off."

"Doesn't Herald have a crush on her?"

"Weirdo."

I closed my eyes as Mione guided me to the carriages. She ushered me in, glancing behind her. I looked outside, seeing a gigantic crowd gathered around our carriage. "Any of you have a problem?!" Padma screamed at them. Everyone turned their gaze to the ground, mumbling some things under their breaths. "That's what we thought." Parvati yelled. Lavender closed the door and the carriage left.

"Since when am I the local freak show?" I asked, looking at Lavender. She was the gossip queen of Gryffindor. "Well...there have been some rumours ever since the last task...but I had no idea it was THIS serious." she explained, gesturing out the window. "If I hear one more comment, I'll hex them all the way to Pigfarts." I stated. "Let's wait with the hexing..." Hermione laughed nervously, taking my wand from my grasp. "I don't get it. There are girls out there who have dated at least twenty guys. Why is no one talking about them?" Padma sighed. "Because I happen to have dated a Triwizard champion." I told her.

Parvati took a deep breath, fiddling with her hair. "Let's make a pact." Lavender proposed, holding out her hand. "Another one?" Padma laughed. "Yes, another one." she spoke. I sighed, placing my hand on top of Lav's. The other girls followed my example. "Whenever one of us is being stared at for whatever reason, we protect them." she said. We looked all looked each other in the eye, nodding solemnly. "Good." the blonde grinned.

The carriage came to a stop. We gathered our belongings and exited the vehicle. Hermione handed me my wand, glaring at me. "No hexing." she demanded. I rolled my eyes. The station was a cacophony of laughter and talking. "Let's just get it over with." I breathed out, walking into the crowd.

I could feel people stare at me as I made my way towards the Hogwarts Express. Once I stood in the door opening of the train, I spun around. "What do you want?! Huh?! Wanna see a mess?! Here's some advice, look at someone who's an actual mess!" I screamed at the top of my lungs.

"But you are a mess, aren't you Weasel?" Malfoy's sickening voice sneered. "Look at yourself, Malfoy. 'My father will hear about this.' Learn to figure your own fights out!" I yelled back. "My father wi-" he began, before realising his mistake. I shook my head, entering the train.

Most of the compartments were already occupied. I kept walking until I reached the far end of the train. There, Neville and Dean were playing some Exploding Snaps. I knocked on the window, leaning against the door frame. "Mind if I join you?" I questioned. Dean dropped his cards, getting up. He engulfed me into a hug, rubbing my back. "Uh...thanks?" I mumbled against his chest. "How are you holding up?" he asked. Neville snickered. "I think we both heard how she's doing." he stated. Dean nodded, grinning from ear to ear. He sat back down, offering me the seat next to him.